Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:18:59 -0400
From:         David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>
Subject:      Intake noise (or: Woohoo!  No more drone!)

The whole time I've owned my van it's suffered from a loud, deep, resonant sort of droning noise on the highway, from about 45 mph on up. (Well, okay, I'm the one who suffers. I'm sure the van doesn't care.) I replaced the exhaust mounts and fixed all the exhaust leaks without changing it one bit.

Well, today I got part of the intake snorkel, the upper part that goes in the vent. I don't have the rest of the pieces -- I don't even know what other pieces there *are*, except for a section of paper tube (though if someone with ETKA wants to let me know that'd be great) -- but I jury-rigged it with a length of 3" diameter aluminum flexible duct from the hardware store. I mashed the duct into an oval shape with my hand so it would fit up into the vent area and mate with the air cleaner and snorkel.

Man, what a difference! It's easily half as loud at 55 mph as it was before. And I know some of the remaining noise is from the aluminum duct buzzing against the bodywork, since I made no attempt to isolate it. I had no idea so much noise could come from an INTAKE.

Now I just need to come up with a permanent fix.

David Brodbeck, N8SRE '82 Vanagon Westfalia Diesel '94 Honda Civic Si