Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:29:18 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Max Load Rating Calculation
Comments: To: Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

> Exactly how do we get from GVWR or GAWR to the Load > spec of 1609-1652lbs.

To get the load spec, take the highest axle's GVWR and divide by 2. In your van that would be (3,042 lbs/2) or 1,521 lbs.

A light truck or commercial tire needs to be rated for at least that amount. No safety margin is required since it is being used in the application it was designed for.

> I know there is a safety margin figured in, but I'd > like to know specifically how to do the actual math.

The load rating of a passenger car tires needs to be reduced by 9% (divide by 1.1) for use in a light truck application. <http://www.yokohamatire.com/utinstallation.asp> <http://www.tiresafety.com/size_class/size_nav4b.htm#ptire>

LR Lbs. 9% derate 93 1433 1303 94 1477 1343 95 1521 1383 96 1565 1423 97 1609 1463 98 1653 1503 99 1709 1554 100 1764 1604 101 1819 1654 102 1874 1704

> My 1990 Syncro Westfalia has the following load > specifications.

> GVWR LB 5512 > GAWR LB Front 2866 / Rear 3042

If you were using a reinforced sidewall passenger car tire, it would require at least a '99' load rating, like the Michelin MXL's and MXT's. A light truck or commercial tire would require a '95' load rating.

My camper has a rear GVWR of 2,866 lbs, so it would require a reinforced sidewall passenger car tire with '97' load rating and a or a '93' load rating in a light truck or commercial tire. This info matches the tire selection shown in the front of the drivers door jamb.

You can always install a higher rated tire than specified, but in order to get the higher rating, the tire manufacturer has to add material to the tire, making it heavier. What effect this extra weigh will have on the suspension and handling characteristics is anyone's guess. Typically lighter tires and wheels are installed to improve handling characteristics, so wouldn't heavier ones do the opposite? Bigger isn't always better.

Good luck,