Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:59:21 -0700
From:         Bob Elliott <bobe@WEBTIDE.NET>
Subject:      Re: FW: 15" Wheel Question
Comments: cc: lchase@attglobal.net, jpalmer@mts.net, tjhannink@yahoo.com,
          damoncampbellvw@yahoo.com, Mfgavia@aol.com, firefly@jam.rr.com

Well after another unfruitful day on the phone with various tire manufacturers I went back and re-read Lucas' tire/wheel article on the GoWesty web site <http://www.gowesty.com/wheelstiresinfo.html> and I also called Lucas directly to ask him voice to voice about the use of Michelin X-One Durablacks on Vanagon Westys. Lucas was adamant that the X-Ones would handle the Westy in any road or weather condition. He and most of the other employees at GoWesty use a version of the Alloy wheel/X-One combo on their Vanagons (Westys and Syncros) on a day to day basis and all can affirmation that the X-One can handle the load! I know that some on the group may not agree with my choice but I just made an appointment for 215/65 R15 Michelin X-One Durablack to be put on the Alloys and installed on my van next week.

Thanks to all the groups for their input to this question. Hopefully some of the info I fed-back was helpful too. Thanks to all that got involved. I'm bound to to have a myriad more questions as I upgrade and enjoy my van. Hopefully I can give some answers and feedback myself. Again, thankyou ...

bob elliott

ATTN: Larry Here's a bit of info for your 15" wheel file Larry ... here's the results of calls I made directly to the following tire companies asking for 215/65 R15 Load Rating of 1609lbs + ...

Nokian Tire: 1-800-565-5252 Recommeded .... either the Nokian CS 205/65 R15 C102 or the Nokian NRC2 205/65R15 C102. Rep said both have a Load Rating of 1900lbs

Michelin 1-888-871-4444 (second call)

- XCA Nothing in the Size I need - Again pushed the Agilis 15" but told me they are still back ordered for Canada and not expected until the summer ...

Continental Tire - Nothing in the size and load range I need

Yokohama - 1-800-661-4033 (Only in Canada) - Nothing in the size and load rating I need

Kumho Tires - 1-800-445-8646 Amazingly rude in terms of trying to get info from them. They said I should call a dealers as they weren't there to give customer support. Nice!

At 06:01 PM 22/04/2003 -0600, you wrote: >Bob, > >I have tried to keep a file on 15" Vanagon tires that others have >recommended. > >Because of your tire quest ..... I went back thru that file to see if >there was anything that might be worth your consideration. > >The largest Original OEM Tire's available on the Vanagon was a >205/70TR14 with a Diameter of 25.3" > >Based on your concerns with minimizing the performance hit with going to >a too large of a tire, I eliminated > >any tires with a diameter over 27.3" > >Also ... I'm not sure what the cutoff diameter is before noticeable >performance degradation. > >Example ... I running the Michelin LTX tires which have a 27.7" >diameter. Did not include them here. > >Below are the remaining tires I had in my notes. > >Please research each tire to see if it has the proper load specs. In >some cases I don't have that info. > >But maybe there is something here worth considering. > >Nokian WS 205/65 R15 ... This is the one you see to be leaning towards. > >Michelin Agilis 205/65TR15 load rating 1764lbs. Diameter 25.9" ... Too >expensive and maybe milage too low. > >Remaining ... Possible OTHER CHOICES. > >Pirelli Scorpion A/S 215/75SR15 load rating 1742lbs. Diameter 27.3" > >Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo ... 205/70SR15 load rating 2403lbs. Diameter >26.6" <<<< Promising > >Dunlop Rover Touring LT P215/70R15 load rating 1609lbs. Diameter >27.2" > >Vredestein Transport Steel 195/70 R15C .... Need load & diameter info ><<<< Promising >Vredestein Transport Snow 195/70 R15c .... Need load & diameter info ><<<< Promising > >Continental Vanco LS23 > >195/65R15 .... Need load & diameter info <<<< Promising >195/70R15 load rating 1985lbs. Diameter 25.7" <<<< Promising >215/65R15 .... Need load & diameter info <<<< Promising >215/70R15 Load rating 2271lbs. Need diameter info <<<< >Promising > >Hope something here helps, > >On the Road and the Road is Great, > > >Larry Chase >Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com >Web: www.RoadHaus.com >What: North American Road Trip >How: RoadHaus - 1990 VW Westfalia Syncro >Today: Denver, CO > >- - - > > >-----Original Message----- >From: Bob Elliott [mailto:bobe@webtide.net] >Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 12:42 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Cc: lchase@attglobal.net >Subject: Re: FW: 15" Wheel Question > > >Uhmmmm, well basically I thrilled with the number and variance of the >responses to my 215/65-15 tire question but I remain flummoxed as to the >solution. I thought the Michelin X Ones were going to be the solution >but members report that they fail the passenger tire side wall load >rating necessary for a Westy Vanagon of 1609 lbs by coming in at only >1510 lbs. I'll be calling Michelin on Monday to see what they have to >say. > >In the meantime I've called my local Kal Tire dealer and he advised me >that given the Westy load specs that Michelins were out. He said with a >load rating of 1609lbs that I'd have to go with a light truck tire, >which some of you spoke about. His recommendation was the Nokian WS >205/65 R15. Exceeds the Westy 1609lb load requirement. Cost: $149.00 Cdn >per tire. Drive away for $761.35 Cdn for the four (4). Looks like this >is the way I'll be going. > >thanks > >bob elliott > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >At 09:37 AM 18/04/2003 -0600, you wrote: > > > > >-----Original Message----- >From: Larry Chase [mailto:lchase@attglobal.net] >Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 9:06 AM >To: 'Vanagon Mailing List' >Cc: wetwesties@yahoogroups.; VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com; >vwcc@yahoogroups.com; Syncro@yahoogroups.com >Subject: RE: 15" Wheel Question > > >Bob, > >CAUTION ..... PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING BEFORE PURCHASING THE MICHELIN >X-One OR MX4 TIRES THAT GOWESTY SELLS > >1. Look at the tire specs at Tirerack or Michelin on these tires. They >are LOAD Rated around 1510 lbs. > >If you look at Vanagon.Com load rating RECOMMENDATIONS you will see that >a minimum of 1609 lbs is recommended. > >Vanagon.Com Tire Spec Link: > >http://www.vanagon.com/info/tires/ > >2. Next talk to Michelin or Tirerack Reps and ask if they recommend >these tires for a Vanagon. > >I have done this in the past and was told by both Company Reps that >these tires are "NOT RECOMMENDED" FOR A VANAGON. They said "the load >rating is too low". > >In the past, I spoke to Lucas (owner of Go Westy) about this. He >strongly feels that the "Michelin & Tire Rack tech support is wrong" and >that these are proper tires for the Vanagon. > >In fairness .... Please read Lucas's comments here: > >http://www.gowesty.com/wheelstiresinfo.html > >Tire choices always seems to be overly confusing. > >Comment ... I'm not trying to VENDOR BASH "GoWesty" ..... I believe them >to be an excellent vendor and have done a great deal of business with >them. I purchased many parts and have had them do many modifications on >the RoadHaus. > >They have always treated me fairly and their installation and >modification work has been of the highest quality. > >I believe they Honestly believe they are offering the best tires choice >to the Vanagon Community. > >Other than for tires ... I would recommend them highly. > >In anyone else had a DIFFERENT POINT OF VIEW ON THESEW TIRES ... PLEASE >SPEAK UP. > >On the Road and the Road is Great, > > >Larry Chase >Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com >Web: www.RoadHaus.com >What: North American Road Trip >How: RoadHaus - 1990 VW Westfalia Syncro >Today: Denver, CO > >- - - > > >Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:43:35 -0700 >From: Bob Elliott <bobe@WEBTIDE.NET> >Subject: Re: 15" Wheel Question > >Well after Damon let me know that GoWesty had the 15" steel wheels too I >had a look around their site and found that the price difference for a >set of (4) 15x7" steels was only $150 dollar different than the 15x7" >Alloy Wheel Set (4) ... > >so I got the alloy set ><http://www.gowesty.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=gw& >Product_Code=GVW-8525&Category_Code=wt-wheelstires> > > >Now I gotta decide on tires. Tyler at GoWesty said that the "very best" >choice I could make would be the Michelin X1. Best Cdn price I can find >is $145 + installation (balance, valve stems and possible alignment). >This is a little more $$$ than I'd planned on. Anyone got other tire >suggestions/experiences to offer? > >thanks > >bob elliott >Webtide Information Service, Inc. >voice: 1 (604) 737-2835 >fax: 1 (604) 737-2701 >http://www.webtide.net/

Webtide Information Service, Inc. voice: 1 (604) 737-2835 fax: 1 (604) 737-2701 http://www.webtide.net/