Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:37:40 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Big Valves for me?
Comments: To: Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@yahoo.com>

I've got an engine project sitting on my bench. Strange situation. I bought my van from a dealer lot. I'm resonably sure that mileage, about 89,000 as I remember, was correct per the speedometer, because I did some work on it and all the seals were intact. About 1500 miles later the engine burned a piston clear through. Now I'm easy on vehicles, and this thing gave me no warning, just happened on a long trip.

Anyway, when the engine was removed I discovered a yellow tag on the case that said Remanufactured by Volkswagen of Canada. Now that was real surprise. That meant that in the 89,000 miles of the vehicle there had been two engines in the vehicle. And at 90500 miles I was about to install the third engine.

So, I now have the third engine in the van, stock, and it now has 40,000 miles on the engine. 131,000 on the van. The broken engine sits on my bench. And the question would be, how many miles on that engine. Well, I have allowed that perhaps 45,000 max. That is half the total miles that had been put on the van up until that time. So, I have an engine that basically is good shape, except one cylinder. There was no other damage to the the rest of the engine, just that one cylinder and piston.

Now my goal is to build a little bit hotter engine, performance wise. So what you have done interests me very much. So I ask the questions.....Who provided your big valve heads? Who did your stroker crank, and what was the offset? How much did you have to take off the top of the pistons to maintain compression suitable for regular gasoline? Stock rods? Source of Pistons, Cylinders, Rings?

Got any idea what kind of horsepower increase you got?

Thanks,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver