Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:14:13 -0700
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Big Valves for me? - too long.
Comments: To: John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>

John, first off, let me tell you that i am probably close to the last person you want telling you how to build a motor. I don't know jack about it. Well, my fiance just pointed out her dad would do a worse job (which is true), but the point it i am just figuring things out as i go along (i hope). Secondly, this motor is still very much in progress. It is in the clean-up and maching and parts procuring stage. So unfortunately, i can't get you an HP numbers. However, when i get it put together and broken in, i'll probably pick up one of those g-tech pro thingies and get some HP numbers.

Heck, i don't even know if this motor will last more than 40 miles (i hope so... honestly, i'll be quite happy if i get 80k out of it).

To answer what questions i can, though:

heads - i don't have this finalized (heck, i just got the go ahead this morning!) crank - dpr is doing the work, but you typically have to go through someone (like boston bob) to get work done. And the final stroke is 82mm (stock is 76 for the 2.1) pistons - about 0.140" will be shaved off the top to maintain correct CR. AirCooled.net has some uber-fancy pistons with the correct pin location for a stroker crank available, but they are $$$$. I'm trying to keep stock compression ratio. rods - stock but 1.9 hardware. keep those rods strong for the increased stroke. source of pistons, cylinders and rings - got them at Bruce Tassi's in colma, but if you look around there are a few places selling these things. Honestly, i am a little suspect of the quality of these taiwanese pistons and cylinders over a pair of german ones, but please see my first paragraph regarding the caliber of my critique.

I've just spent the last couple months looking in the archives, talking to a couple people, and searching the internet for a variety of opinions and "facts" trying to find the ones that make the most sense to me. The only way i feel kind of OK about this is that i am not trying to skimp on parts...

Ok, i'll leave it at that since i've already gone on for far too long about something i don't know a whole lot about :-)

-Damon

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) '65 Kharma Ghia (Dharma)