Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:50:05 -0700
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Diagnosis of Intermittent Power Loss or Misfire

Steve Gough wrote:

> What is wierd is that > the van will often (but not always) run well in open loop, with > good acceleration and power, both hot and cold.

Steve and listees,

Well I want to send this response to the list as I believe a couple of important points can be restated for the benefit of us all.

Steve's case of the intermittent misfire has some lessons for us all. As you can see below the procedure to irradicate the dreaded misfire can and often does have an electical component. What we all often overlook is the condition of the actual wire harness. I've excerpted some diagnostic wisdom from an unknown author, so if it's yours thank you from us all. The excerpted material is a condesed set of procedures that should be done without shortcuts to solve a misfire. While I avoid getting this nitty gritty on most of the cases I respond to, I feel we all should read through this and contemplate that I next issue of misfire, either Our own, or someone on the list, might do well to examine the wiring harness first.

It is a forgone conclusion that many mechancial dianostic approaches are designed to be quick and painless, although usually the "test" involves purchasing some electrical part. This is a murky issue, becasue no one part is consistantly the bad guy. I've heard, TEMP II, O2, AFM, ECU all bandied about, because at one time or another all of these parts have been reported go bad, fail early, and crack solder joints, or just plain give up because of marginal engineering.

I'm of the diagnostic opinion that for testing the engine should be left in open loop mode, until the problem is resolved, it makes diagnostics much simpiler, and the Bosch Electronic engine controls were actually produce in the hundreds of thousand unit without the O2. The engine can flat run better on a given day without the O2. The O2 has it's purpose in a well tuned engine, but for the sake of testing, it should be the first thing to be taken off line. Now on to Steve's issue:

Now then I had not seen this, statement before, that what we are actually working on is an intermittant issue. This changes things. If you problem comes and goes, then I believe your should do a couple of things based on unknown to me author who condesed the Factory Test Sheet for intermittent misfire. I' m not able to key it in just now, but here are some of issues: In order of the test sheet.

1. Ignition system, "if you have the Beru spark plug connectors replace them"

2. Coil -- you should have the "GREEN" Labelled coil Part # 211 905 115d

3. Electrical Harness Check-- Check the connectors in the ECU Plug and at all the other fuel system components connections. ARe the connectors in good shape, with a solid crimp on the wires?

4. Are they the union power timer connectors? Power timer terminal can be recognized in the following way: These terminals are basicazlly the same as teh original excetp that a stainless steel spring is crimped over the original terminal contact fingers. Thes keeps tension alonf the contact surface during movement, vibration and high curent draw.

Fuel injection wire harness internal connectioan ( injector power and ground terminal #94 , G1 and G2 butt type connector inside the harnesscover can aslso be a problem.

Intermittent missing in lower gears and some at highway speeds. These three connections are to be soldered. the author states "I have no other information on the exact location of these buttconnectors other thatn a photo copy that istoo dark to point out anything and the communique states see your District Service Manager for approximate locations" Refer to harness check in the microfiche or the Digifant I and II ProTRaingi manual pages 40-43, (Yes I know Darrell has these pubs.)

Other than that, the list also say to double check the Evaporative system, pg 34 of the pro training manual.

I would add that on all connectors I have done the following. Dipped the terminals in a solution of TARN-X, then a clear water rinse, air dry or compressed air dry, then coated the terminal with a Product called "OX-GUARD" I prefer this product as the label incates that a dielectic grease base with a conductive grit. This allow the connectors to "bite" into the conductor grit.

This service takes all day to do, but I found my van to be more stable in differnet weather and climate conditions and operations, all which have an impact on marginal electrical connections.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat