Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Apr 2003 06:19:11 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing 88 headlights
Comments: cc: rattlehead_64@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 4/26/2003 12:25:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

> Hi all,A couple weeks ago I caught a rock and well, my headlight is broken. > I got the headlight assembly at Bus Depot and tryed to replace it. My > question is,... What is the trick to getting the old one off? I tryed > already and of course, the plastic clips are real brittle, and they started > breaking as soon as I put any kind of presure on them. Do they turn or just > snap on? Anyway now, I guess a headlight assembly is just the headlight > case itself. No clips, not even the light itself. So, I have to get the > clips from the local VW dealer. While I'm at it, do I need to get the light > itself from the dealer too? This shouldn't be this hard. Has someone done > this before that can help?

Randy, your experiencing a very common problem whit those headlights. Get new headlight adjusters from the dealer, they come complete, no way to get just the plastic bit on the end that ALWAYS breaks. You can remove the plastic bit from the new adjuster and use it on your old adjuster instead of replacing the entire set up. Make sure the adjuster screws are free to turn. If not, use some penetrating oil and get them freed up and lubricated. There are three different ones so make sure you get all the ones you need for whichever headlamp your replacing. When installing them use a hair dryer to warm the plastic part before trying to snap them on to the headlight. The hair dryer trick will sometime work in salvaging old brittle ones. The whole set up is very Mickey Mouse but it's what we have to deal with.

Cheers

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 12 ~ 15, 2003 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/">IWCCC</A> & <A HREF="http://www.ccvwc.ca/">CCVWC</A> Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A>   <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com