Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:17:34 -0700
From:         Randy Newell <rattlehead_64@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing 88 headlights
Comments: To: bghuna@mchsi.com

Thanks Jay,I see where the entire assembly comes off now. I still don't see any way of getting around breaking the clips when I replace the headlight case though. I guess it just sort of irritaed me that, if these parts break every time that you do this job, why wouldn't a shop that is Vanagon oriented tell me this? Or at least send out a warning? As far as Van-again, I have delt with him in the past, he does pretty good, however, I like to pay for things in cash, or at least MO. I have delt with Bus Depot off and on for about 8 years and they don't have a problem sending out a $20 part when I say I am sending in a money order. Van-again said the same thing, BUT, it took 3 weeks for me to get a $12 heater switch in the dead of winter (on top of this, the damn thing went out again a week later. Took 4 weeks to get a replacement one). I wasn't happy. I could see his point if I had never bought anything from him before, but I bought a new radiator from him last fall. Sorry to rattle on all, just venting my frustrations. Anyway, the dealer is suposed to have the adjuster assemblies on Tuesday. I will let you all know how it works out. Like I said, This shouldn't be this hard, it's just a headlight for heaven's sake. Thanks all,Randy Newell rattlehead_64@yahoo.com

Jay Roth <bghuna@mchsi.com> wrote:I'm a new owner of an '87 Westy and one of my first priorities was to take out the headlights. I don't know if an '88 has the same assembly but I had no problem removing my headlights. You spoke of breaking plastic clips: if you've ALREADY TAKEN THE GRILL OFF you may be referring to the plastic clips used to AIM the headlamps, not the screws that hold the headlight in! You can find replacement clips at http://www.vanagain.com and search for Category: Body-Electrical; Product: headlight.

Anyway, there are four mounting screws around the ENTIRE assembly of headlamps (inner and outer). They're normal. Just hard to see (how do I know? 'cause I reaimed my headlights first too and nearly broke the same clips I think you're referring to.)

As far as a replacement headlight bulb, I went to Wal-Mart, and looked up replacement bulbs on their handy computer. I bought the GE (or Sylvania) BLUE since the light is a little brighter and crisper. (I put only one in for comparison). Once you have removed the entire headlight assembly, twist off the plug on the back, and remove the plastic retaining ring. Pull the plug containing the bulb out of the lamp. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOU FINGERS. The oils from you fingers will cause the bulb to burn out quickly (superheating the bulb I think).

HINT ALSO TOLD TO ME: take a hanger, bend it, and with a cloth, (like a cotton swab) clean the inside of the headlights - at least your old one - to improve reflection. It made a HUGE difference!

Hope this helps!

Love, Light & Laughter, Jay

Hi all,A couple weeks ago I caught a rock and well, my headlight is broken. I got the headlight assembly at Bus Depot and tryed to replace it. My question is,... What is the trick to getting the old one off? I tryed already and of course, the plastic clips are real brittle, and they started breaking as soon as I put any kind of presure on them. Do they turn or just snap on? Anyway now, I guess a headlight assembly is just the headlight case itself. No clips, not even the light itself. So, I have to get the clips from the local VW dealer. While I'm at it, do I need to get the light itself from the dealer too? This shouldn't be this hard. Has someone done this before that can help? Thanks all in advance.Randy Newellrattlehead_64@yahoo.com