Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:21:32 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: RoadHaus - Premature wheel bearing failure
Comments: To: roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM

OK I'm going to give you a guys a chance to call me crazy. Here goes! Back in the 60s I was a manufacturers rep for Mollo-O a Molybdenum lubricant. The factory said "Never use Molybdenum Grease on anything that looks like a needle bearing". That fits the description of Vanagon rear axle bearings to a T. I replaced my rear bearings 30K ago and they seem fine (no rumbling and the seals are still good) lubed them with generic universal grease. When you look at the bearings you remove pay careful attention to see if they have flat spots on the rollers, that is a sure sign of the symptoms that Molly-O factory cautioned me about .......... molybdenum simply turns needle bearings into bushings. OK now back to why nobody told me NOT TO put a tach on this 66 Splittie. The RPMs at 65 / 70 MPH are something you don't want to know on a type I engine.

Stan Wilder

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:20:00 -0600 Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM> writes: > Volks, > > Trying to figure out why my two rear wheel bearings failed after > 3000 > miles. > > > Observations: > > 1. The large nuts that hold both bearings were tight .. no concerns > of > improper torque. > > 2. Both bearings seem to be greased with CV Molly ... is this an > appropriate lube for wheel bearings? > > 3.. Both bearings were well lubed on the outside surface but did > not > have much lubrication on the inside/ backside. > > 4. The snap ring behind the outside bearing looked as if it hadn't > been > disturbed during the last bearing install. > > Any thoughts? > > Note .... front bearings were also replaced 3k miles ago .... they > seem > fine. > > > > "people don't take trips, trips take people", > > John Steinbeck ... Travels with Charley > > Larry Chase > Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com > Web: > <file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/RoadHaus/Application%20Data/Micro > soft/Signatures/www.RoadHaus.com> www.RoadHaus.com > What: North American Road Trip > How: RoadHaus - 1990 VW Westfalia Syncro > Today: Denver, CO > >

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!