Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:55:13 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Air Cooled Vanagon Westfalia POKEY for sale

I bought an 86 Syncro Westy and I only have parking for one car...

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:11:28 -0400 >From: "Russell, William" <william.russell@UW-INC.COM> >Subject: Re: Air Cooled Vanagon Westfalia POKEY for sale >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Oh, I'd love to buy it but I really shouldn't. It sounds so nice and it >could keep my 1980 "Jazzy" company in the parking lot. :( > >Why are you selling it? > >-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf >Of 80 Westy Pokey >Sent: April 30, 2003 11:24 AM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Air Cooled Vanagon Westfalia POKEY for sale > >Please send questions to: westfalia@rogers.com so they don't >get lost in the shuffle! > >Ad on the Samba: >http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.mv? >photo+200304300808099733 > >Ad on EP: >http://ep.com/js/mi/c0/b0/1625622.html > >Back in January I bought a Syncro but was holding onto Pokey >until I was sure I would have a van for my March break trip >to Florida. Well the trip is long since over and it is time >to sell Pokey. For any interested persons close to Toronto, >it will be at Greenbelt VW's "springfest" this Sunday May >4th: http://autonet.ca/GreenbeltVW/Events.cfm > >Pokey is really really clean and I get lots of comments on >its condition wherever I go. The gentleman who sold it to me >said his family had outgrown the van and will be buying a >cottage instead. He had bought it in July 1995 from Owasco (a >large VW dealer that specializes in Westfalias and Eurovan >campers). It has been taken on two longs trips, one to the >east coast of Canada and one to Northern Ontario. Other than >those two trips, they he previous owner used it very little. >One weekend in the past two years he owned it. To be honest I >probably used it even less. > >The van is in very good condition. The interior is pretty >much as new, there is no mildew or cooking residue on the >tent material, the arborite is in excellent condition, the >fridge works very well as does the cooker. The propane tank >and lines were replaced in 1995 and the water pump is >upgraded to a Shur marine fresh water pump. >I have not done a compression test since I bough it three >years ago, but the engine still feels as strong as it did >then. At the time I bought it compression was at >manufacturers specifications; 130, 130, 125, 130. According >to Bentley, the requirements for a new engine are 131 PSI and >there is a 40 PSI range. Shifting the transmission is very >smooth. Timing is right on. There are no problems with the >Air Mass Meter and engine hoses. It leaks a bit of oil, but >probably no more than most Air Cooled engines (Pushrod tubes, >seals, etc were done last year). > >I don't like to say that there is "no rust" because there is >some. But I have seen vans with similar minor rust or often >much worse rust listed as "rust free". There is certainly no >rot. The body is in very good condition. There is a small >rust patch on the seam behind the drivers door (about at >window height) and some minor rust spots on at the very >bottom of the drivers side pannel that has the electrical / >water outlets. There are a couple of rust spots on the lower >part of the nose and a bit of bubbling where the nose meets >the fender. There is a small spot below the rear hatch window >as well. The body seams are good. There has been a rust >repair to the step well which was sandblasted, and coated >with a rust inhibitor. >The van has never been used in winter. It had been stored by >late September and out just before May 24th weekend (a >holiday in Canada) the van was driven an average of 10,000 km >per year (6000 miles) The underneath still has the original >undercoat and screws and bolts do not appear to be rusted >solid. I had complete "Rust Check" and undercoat done each >year. > >At some time, part of the van was repainted a slightly >different colour from the original Asuan Brown. I don't know >why. It appears to have been a good job. >The interior is very good, although the original VW wallpaper >is peeling in places. The original owner put carpet on the >rear door and side door (insulation, I suppose) He used snaps >to install it. We removed the carpet, but the snaps are still >visible. The tent is in excellent, as new, condition. The >seat coverings are in fair shape but the bottom of the rear >bench and the left side of the drivers seat are starting to >show some wear. >It has four almost new tires. They are Load range "D" so they >will hold the weight of a westy. The spare is original and >looks unused. I can throw in five spares in not as good shape >for free. >Clutch was replaced three years ago because of leaking at the >rear seal. Brakes are shocks seem fine. The ride is quite >smooth. >The fuel tank, all fuel lines, brake master, and clutch >master and slaves were replaced three years ago. >It has a working BA6 gas heater, stereo cassette deck (wired >to switch to work independent of ignition setting great for >camping), wind down windows, no power options, The previous >owner installed speakers in the ceiling of the driver / >passenger area. There are VDO volts, cylinder head temp, oil >temp and oil pressure gauges. It has a K&N air filter, a bra, >all screens, tables and curtains, Pop top artificial rain >gutters, second battery wired up (but the auxiliary battery >itself is on its last legs), Tachometer in place of clock >(its having issues right now), WR1 Hard Start Relay, New >Starter, Recent tune up (plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc.), >Fridge works great - makes ice, Stove works great, Horn is on >its last legs (cheap and easy to fix), Cover for power cord >has fallen off, The cable to the lower heat control has >fallen off (still have plenty of good heat with the BA6 I am >not even sure what this cable does). > >It was appriased at $7,500 Canadian. I am asking $6,500. >Again, for any interested persons close to Toronto, it will >be at Greenbelt VW's "springfest" this Sunday May 4th: >http://autonet.ca/GreenbeltVW/Events.cfm > >Please send questions to: westfalia@rogers.com so they don't >get lost in the shuffle! > >Thanks, >Chris