Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:53:56 -0400
From:         Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: ATTN: 80-83 owners
Comments: To: Simplstupd@AOL.COM

I think the main point most listees were trying to make is that your distributor does not have the advance necessary to make it work correctly throughout the rpm range.

I have tuned a few customers cars in the last year with the same set up. If you are getting that much MPG, rest assured you are running lean. You should be able to see this on your spark plugs. Only advice to really give is to time the car at 38 to 42 degrees total advance with a light, not my ear....this means rev the motor to 3500 rpms or so and see where the timing is. Then you will get all you can out of that 009...however, you will idle high...............turning in the idle adjustment screw will just cut down on your top end power...........

Normal range for air cooled vanagon is from 13-19mpg.......if you are getting more, it probably is due to bigger tires than stock, different speedo than was originally in the van, or a lean running condition.

Adam P 81 Westy "The Brick " 70 Single Cab "Whitey" 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg 1976 Transporter (New CA bus) 1974 412 "Goldmember" Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Wies" <Simplstupd@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 9:01 PM Subject: ATTN: 80-83 owners