Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:29:48 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Clutch cylinders
Comments: To: Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>

I'm with Stan on this one.

If you are going to change the master, you are going to have to bleed the system. If your wallet can stand it, change them both, bleed the system this one time, and be done with it. You likely will not break down on the road somewhere for a very long time. On the other hand, if the wallet is not fat, waiting may be the order of the day, and you will just have to live with the impending leak and inconvenient breakdown and the 2nd bleeding of the clutch system.

For myself, when I changed my clutch master recently, I opted to wait to change the rear slave cylinder.

When I changed the clutch master, I found it easiest to cut the rubber tube that feeds the cylinder, rather than try an pull it off. It was a "Mo -tha!!"

Use a turkey baster with a clear plastic tube on it and withdraw as much of the break fluid out of the reservoir as you can.

When you remove the fittings at the bottom of the cylinder, be very careful as there is a narrow, thin copper washer there that you DO NOT want to lose. The new cylinder will not have that washer, and without it you are screwed!!

Open end, box end, socket, extension, and rachet are all handy to do this job with. But it is not hard. Just a bit of a PITA.

If you are very careful, and you are NOT going to replace the slave cylinder, once the cylinder is installed, fill the fluid tank, and then pump the pedal 25 -30 times in reasonable fast succession. or until there is a good solid pedal. The cylinder should self bleed of any air.

Good luck.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver