Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:23:10 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rad fan--2 or 3 wire???stumped
Comments: To: vw4x4@FYI.NET

I don't doubt you a bit. I believe I have seen non-A/C 86 models both ways, small fan and large. In the old dealer parts microfiche there was a comment that the larger fan was fitted on vehicles destined for warmer climates and those with A/C. I have 2 1987 Vanagons, one with A/C and one without. Both have the resistor behind the headlight but not the same part of course. Bentley does not have a wiring diagram that matches the wiring in my 87 without A/C. Both my 87s are Syncros so maybe that makes a difference in the factory's use of the larger fan in a non-A/C model. I think they just starting using the bigger fan in most models so that it would be simpler to add A/C later if a customer wanted it. A careful reading of the schematics supports this view, not that anyone but me cares.

All watercooled vanagons have at least 2 rad fan speeds. The earlier ones had a smaller fan motor with an INTERNAL resistor to provide the low speed. Check the schematic in the Bentley for 1985 models and you can see the symbol for a resistor on the motor side of pin 1 of the 'rad fan' motor. The symbol was dropped from later schematics but it is probably still there inside the motor in vans where the smaller motor was used.

A/C equipped 2.1 models have 3 rad fan speeds. Low and high are triggered by the 2 radiator temp switches. Low is also triggered by the A/C whenever the A/C is on. Medium is triggered by the A/C whenever the freon pressure is above a certain point (15 bar).

Mark

Eric Zeno wrote: > > That's kind of strange, because my old 2WD 1986, > no AC, had a 2 speed fan, but no resistor at all! > Go figure? > eric > > mark drillock wrote: > > > Nope, check the VW parts data. A 2 wire resistor unit is available for > > non-A/C with one low speed and a 3 wire resistor for A/C to get the 2 > > lower speeds. High speed does not use the resistor. > > > > Mark > > > > Eric Zeno wrote: > > > > > > To the best of my knowledge this resistor was only installed > > > on Vanagon with AC. This is what give you the 3rd speed > > > on the 2 speed fan. > > > Eric > > >