Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:27:15 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rad fan--2 or 3 wire???stumped
Comments: To: TJ Hannink <tjhannink@yahoo.com>

No, TBD sold you the wrong fan on the 'right' fan motor. Your photo is of 2 of the larger fan motor used in all 2.1 Vanagons with 'factory' A/C. That is consistent with my previous posts. The older smaller motor has a different bolt spacing and can't be used in the same shroud no matter what fan is on it and also has 3 wires attached as part of it instead of the bolt on wires like yours. VW/Audi used a similar large fan motor on several models but with different diameter fans on them.

My remarks referred to the fan/motor as a single part because true Vanagon ones have the right fan blade assembly to go with the right motor. The vender that I suspect sold that wrong combo to TBD is known for selling parts from European model Audis and VWs. They may not have realized that though the same motor was used in some Audi 5000/100/100 models it came with a different fan than the same motor did when used in Vanagons.

For the record, 3 different fan shrouds were fitted to Vanagons sold in North America. They are not interchangeable without the correct fan and vehicle wiring. The 82 diesel one won't work at all on 83+ radiators though the small fan/motor that it uses can be easily adapted to the later small fan/motor shroud.

Too much trivia that 99% of us will never need to know. I am unusually familiar with the variations of the cooling and electrical systems on watercooled vanagons. If I could type faster this post could be 10 times longer but no one would bother to read it.

Mark

TJ Hannink wrote: > > --- mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: > > In the old dealer parts microfiche there was > > a comment that the larger fan was fitted on > > vehicles destined for warmer climates and those > > with A/C. > > > I think they just starting using the bigger > > fan in most models so that it would be simpler to > > add A/C later if a customer wanted it. > > I just replaced the rad fan in my '87 Camper with A/C > and it had the smaller fan. The BD replacement fan > motor came with the larger fan, but it wouldn't fit > inside the fan shroud, so I ended up re-installing the > old fan on the new motor. Sounds like there are > different sized shrouds also. This on a vehicle that > was delivered to and spent its whole life in Florida. > > I have photos of both fans and motors here: > <http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/photos/RadiatorFanOld-New.jpg> > > ===== > TJ Hannink > Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition > Winter Park, Florida > http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/ > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers > http://photos.yahoo.com/tjhannink [Vanagon] Album > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. > http://search.yahoo.com