Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 May 2003 10:35:39 -0700
From:         Tom Forhan <fourwdvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Syncro de Mayo Oeste (East) The Details
Comments: To: dofunk@yahoo.com, syncro@yahoogroups.com,
          syncrolist@yahoogroups.com, syncrosafari@yahoogroups.com

Folks,

It is happening, to the best of my knowledge, but due to some recent unpleasantness in the Middle East you may have heard about, my job has been crazy for the last few months and I have not been able to devote any time to Syncro de Mayo East (or Oeste).

However, the calendar marches on and I must rise to the occassion. Here is the status of my thinking:

Dates: Friday May 30 (early arrivals) through Sunday June 1.

Place: An undisclosed location in West Virginia, near Harrisonburg VA and Interstate 81. Syncro de Mayo East will be held on a private farm with off-road possibilities on site as well in nearby George Washington National Forest. As guests we will be deferring to our host - lets call him Farmer B.- as he sees fit.

Who: Syncros and assorted hangers on. Looks like about a dozen folks have indicated they are planning to come. Dogs, children, significant others are welcome.

Detailed schedule: there is none, but we should have a group cook-out dinner Saturday night, for sure. Offroading on demand. Informal technical seminars at all hours of the day and night. Old friends and putting faces on email addresses.

Why come: We will have some of the most interesting Syncros on the east coast in attendance. Expect to see 16" conversions, non-WBX engines, and vehicles that VW of America wishes never got into the country. Lots of technical expertise, too, without naming names, whatever you are thining about doing to your syncro, you'll find someone who has BTDT and can offer great advice. The biggest reason to come is that you will get stuck. Until you get your syncro stuck, you aren't using it to its potential. Finally, the real reason to come is that syncro owners are a great bunch of people- so please try to make it since that includes you.

Unresolved Issues:

Sponsors- anyone that would like to provide door prizes, hatch prizes, whatever, please contact me at fourwdvw@yahoo.com. Otherwise, the best you will get is a bunch of greasy gag gifts that I might find in my garage.

On-site Vendors: Unless I hear otherwise from Farmer B. I think the rules from the Holiday Bus Fest will suffice: word-of-mouth buying, selling and trading is cool, but please don't bring a trailer full of parts or plan to set up a table.

Sanitation - Farmer B. might appreciate us to renting a porta-pottie or two, in which case we may need to charge $10 or so a vehicle for expenses. I'll wait to hear from the farmer on that one.

Non-syncros: Occasionally non-syncro owners inquire about attending. Since we don't have a huge crowd, it might be fine, but I am not sure just exactly where the farmer will have us camping. If its down in his old pig sty, that slippery stuff will make it hard for 2wd vehicles to move about. I'll wait until I hear from Farmer B on this one, too.

T-Shirts: We gotta have'em, right? I have no experience in this area. Who can help?

Other unresolved issues I haven't thought about?

Thanks

Tom F.