Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 May 2003 18:56:11 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 Westy, 91 Subaru engine, for sale on Craig's List

In a message dated 5/1/03 2:29:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time, undine@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

<< In Berkeley: 85 VW Westfalia ("VW Joker") imported from Holland in 86, 91 Subaru engine done with Kennedy Engineering Conversion Kit, 50,000 miles on new engine, $4500. Not mine, just noticed it on the list, www.craigslist.org, thought someone might be interested. >>

For those who are interested, I checked out this Joker ;). Sounds better in paper but still a good deal. There is seam rust from top to bottom on the driver's side center panel. The engine swap was reasonably sanitary but I have seen better. Accelerator cable was patched together but the owner, Lester, says he has a new cable which comes with he van. The engine does not idle well after it warms up. He says he dropped the AFM when working on the van and has run badly since then. The battery is in the stock location for most diesels just in front of the rear passenger side taillight. You will have to disconnect the main radiator hose and line to remove the battery should you need to. Most of the large diameter hoses are accordion flex-type. I'm not really sure what you other Vanaru and Syncaru people are using. When I saw Roadcow's, it was done in copper pipe. The starter look rusty on the outside but performed flawlessly. There was powersteering reservoir still attached to the engine but it's basically sitting there doing nothing. This is a non-PS van.

The rear left corner has some moderate damage caused when a flat tire caught the large rear mudflap and tore it off the body. There is primer spray all over the place where the owner tried to stop corrosion. This puppy had a poor paintjob and needs to be redone. Poptop was painted body color. Comes with skylight. Canvas has some small rips at the rear next to the hinges on both sides. Nice striped retractable awning. I can't remember the brand. Stove looked very clean and possibly unused. Fridge was dirty but not damaged. The adjacent cabinet has a small catalytic-looking heater attached to it. I didn't check it out. A number of latches were missing or broken. A few edge trims were curled from age and heat. I saw the thermostat for what was the original auxiliary heater. Probably, Webasto. The guy says everything should still be underneath. I could not see well underneath to verify. It was raining when I went to check it out. Has a gray water tank. Nice touch. Has al the auxiliary screening for the doors. Sliding window screens need work. Rear bed needs thorough cleaning but otherwise serviceable. Front seats are 87-91 Vanagon seats. Adjustable armrests are flopping around. May just need to be remounted. Has dashmat carpet thingy with one of those cheesy cupholders Velcro'd to the ashtray.

I almost forgot the big one -- it has a 5-speed trans. The seller didn't even realize that was special (in the US) until I told him. This is an 85. We only got the in the 83's here.

Steel rims with hubcaps. Tires are so-so. The gotta go.

Bumpers are black painted and serviceable. Not that pretty. Front has been cut to allow a 2" receiver to be welded for carrying bikes only. It's not strong enough for a winch as it is welded to inner bumper w/o reinforcements. The rear receiver is equally weak. He said he used them to carry 6 bikes in total -- 3 upfront and 3 in the rear.

That's about all can tell you about it. I went with a friend who was considering the beast. He made the mistake of bringing his wife to look it over. She liked the EuroVan camper that the guy had sitting in the driveway better. Just because it was "prettier".

Oh yeah, no power mirrors or locks. No powersteering as I said earlier. And no AC. Plus fridge is 220V. I guess the fridge can be replaced. Camp ground connectors are all weird to me as they are not the Delta-6 variety.

Worth the $$$ IMHO just because it is rare in the US. Make sure you bring your Subaru Guru to check it out before you buy.

BenT