Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 May 2003 01:58:59 -0500
From:         mike boland <westy@MVBOLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Great inventions of the world
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>

greatest invention is:

electrify.. think about it...everything uses it now..

At 02:21 AM 5/3/2003 -0400, Kim Brennan wrote: >In my opinion the greatest invention in the world is bread (taking a >near inedible object and turning it to a wonderful confection.) Others >may argue for beer, but that's a Fryday subject..... > >Another great invention is Air Conditioning. So the GoldBricks AC's >fan(s) stop working during the winter (I do try to run my AC at least >every couple of weeks in winter to keep the oil throughout the >system....) So today (friday that is) I spent a few hours working on >it... > >First thing I did was check the fuses. All good. Hmm. That's odd. Next >I check power. No power. Even to the AC switch (i.e that switch before >the relays). Hmm... > >Okay, After a long search I finally determined that one of the wires on >the back of the fuse holder (on the left underside of the dash) had >come off. Finally figured out which connector was G3 and reconnected. >Still no power. Fuses good. Check the wire at the fuse block, and it >has power.... > >Look at the circuit diagram figure the next connector is a 4 pin >connector "in the air duct"...well in my Vanagon it is actually behind >the left D pillar (though the Bentley calls it the C pillar.) Okay, I >check and I've got 12 volts at the connector. Still no fans. > >Wait a second...do I detect a bit of browning on that white connector? >Check that voltage with the connector TOGETHER...yah, 9 volts. That's >not right. Hmm connector is acting as a 23K ohm resistor. Not good. Get >out the fine (400 grit) sand paper and clean up the pin, then roll that >sand paper and insert it on the other side and clean out the socket. >Reconnect. Glory be, I've got AC fan(s) running. > >PS. I still had to recharge the AC, but that's pretty trivial and only >took 15 minutes, not like the 2 hours to figure out the wiring problem. > >Ah, the joys of a 17 year old vehicle. :) > >Next episode will be the 12 year old vehicle's AC (Westy Syncro).