Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 May 2003 16:02:55 -0700
From:         Stephen Young <sja_young@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: transmission diagnostic
Comments: To: AA Transaxle <aatransaxle@JUNO.COM>

Hi Daryl, Thanks for the info. I'm planning to try and do most of the work myself. Now I know what I'm up against it seems a little intimidating. How do transmission shops feel about people turning up with pinion shafts and bearings and a request for fitting? Since I'm dealing with a transmission that's already been rebuild I'm hopeful that the 3/4 slider has been replaced. Any easy way to tell? Thanks again, Steve

AA Transaxle <aatransaxle@JUNO.COM> wrote:Steve...Your pinion bearing is going bad and will ruin the ring/pinion soon. If the mainshaft is moving the mainshaft bearing is moving in the gear carrier housing and will cause several problems down the road. On my rebuilds I use a rebushed housing to keep them tight. Not to mention the 3/4 slider issues....$995 exchange for a complete rebuild with a 3 yr warranty.

Daryl of AA Transaxle Duvall, WA. (Seattle area) (425) 788-4070 1-877-377-0773 (toll free) aatransaxle.com (web site)

Hi list, This is my first post and I want to say what a great resource I've found the archives for my 84' westie project. It's got 300,000km on what the PO said is the original engine with one head rebuild. At the moment I'm on track of a transmission noise. There's a distinct whine under acceleration that stops with the clutch down or foot off the gas. A diagnostic at my local independant VW shop suggests that either the main or pinion bearings are on the way out. I pulled the transmission, being too thrifty to commit a large amount of $ at the van without a fight. So far I've discovered that the trans has been rebuilt at least once before. There's appropriate marks on the diff adjusting rings and an r value scratched on the diff ring gear. The ring and pinion teeth don't show any obvious problems, i.e. clean and bright with no obvious pitting or grooves on their surfaces. I did notice that the axle on one side was a rebuild. Looks like the end was about a mil too long and it had abraded away the centre of the end cap entirely. Draining the oil revealed there's fine iron fillings on the magnet, with a paste-like consitency. The pinion shaft appears tight. I can't detect any movement when I try to move it in or out or from side to side. The main shaft is another matter it moves in both directions. Is this enough info for experienced transmission guys to venture a guess to the source of the noise? Thanks in advance for any help. Steve