Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 May 2003 19:44:18 -0700
From:         Steve Delanty <laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM>
Subject:      WBX removal

Well, the wasserboxer is out of the westy.

Thursday morning the '86 drove it's last miles under WBX power. I brought it home and parked it in the best location my mud driveway has to offer.. I dosed all the exhaust hardware with penetrating oil while the parts were still fairly hot, and pulled the oil plug and allowed the oil and coolant to drain overnight.

Friday morning the engine removal process began. Removal was (relatively) easy, the exhaust hardware came off easily enough and the biggest removal hassle was getting all the #$%^& coolant hoses disconnected. There's gotta be at least a million of them, and they were hard and brittle and most didn't want to let go. I managed to break the coolant distribution thingy trying to get the heater hose off it. Sigh... Oh well. I won't be needing THAT anymore.

Once all the "stuff" was disconnected, there's the problem of getting the engine safely to the ground. Thanks to the miracle of the modern floor jack, a hunk of chain and some scrap lumber it went real easy. (-: A wooden "frame" of scrap lumber was made to sit across the engine compartment opening, and a floor jack (with front wheels removed) was set across the wood frame. The jacks rear wheel assembly and the carefully chosen distance between the 4x4's keeps the jack from slipping off. The vise grips make sure the chain can't jump off the jack... <http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/automotive/vanagon/WBXremoval/Boxer%20Hoist.jpg>

I started by putting a sturdy pile of blocks under the motor. The jack was raised up, the chain attached to the engine and then the engine was lifted just a tad to support it. The 4 engine/tranny bolts and the rear crossmember were removed and the engine was swung backwards on it's chain until it was clear of the tranny input shaft. The engine was lowered onto the pile of blocks and then chain was lengthened and the jack raised up again. I lifted the motor just off the blocks, pulled the blocks out and put a piece of plywood on the ground. A few lengths of pipe (3/4" EMT conduit) layed on the plywood for rollers then a chunk of heavy aluminum plate on top of the rollers. (a piece of heavy plywood would have been fine instead of the aluminum plate). The engine was then lowered down on to the plate, the van got jacked up in the rear a bit, then I simply rolled the motor out from under the van and along a plywood runway to the garage. (Did I mention that my driveway is dirt/mud? The plywood runway kept the rollers from sinking in...) The engine was super easy to move on the rollers, even up a small incline. Just pick up each roller as it comes out the back, and put it in front again.... Cool... makes me wanna walk like an egyptian. <http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/automotive/vanagon/WBXremoval/WBX%20on%20rollers.jpg>

The entire removal ordeal wasn't too bad really. The coolant plumbing took a little longer than expected, but the exhaust came off easier than expected. The wiring was easy enough to disconnect and once the engine was out, it only took a few minutes to remove the entire FI wiring harness from the vehicle... <http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/automotive/vanagon/WBXremoval/WBXinjectionharness03.jpg>

Now there's just a big greasy hole where the WBX used to sit. That's gonna take some *big time* cleaning up before the new motor can go in! The motor didn't leak much, but a leaky power steering hose has been doing it's dirty work...

Hey, it's real easy to get at the CV joints with the motor out! I'll service those and also replace the wheel bearings before I slip the new engine in.

Hopefully in about 2 weeks I should be back on the road again!

Steve '86 Westy (undergoing Subaru engine conversion)