Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 May 2003 23:30:06 -0700
From:         Westyman <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Road Haus #1 lives on: A road trip adventure
Comments: To: VWVANFULLTIMERS <VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com>,
          Wetwesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

As the buyer of the first of the line of Road Haus vans designed by the infamous Larry Chase, I must report to the Vanagon World that Road Haus #1 has now finally found it's new home in the safety of western Maryland, just four months after I purchased it from Larry. Some of you may remember the van as the doggy-doo-brown (I'm thinking of naming the van 'Turd") 1985 Westy that Larry first tried his eccentric ideas on. A friend of Larry's had stored it at his home in Phoenix until I had the opportunity to retrieve it, which I finally found time to do last week. Other than a wonderful coat of Phoenix's finest desert sediment, it appeared just as I had seen it back in January. The first thing to go on the scrap-pile (insane modifications that Larry had installed) was the flat-screen TV system. I'm into nature, not the nightly propaganda reports from the White House. Then to properly install the curtains so that I could actually use them, secure the battery connections that were haphazard, and tighten the floppy mirrors so that I could see the monstrous trucks before they were about to run me over. When I started it, it even SOUNDED the same. Rattle rattle cough rattle. Good grief, I thought "what have I done, will this piece of crap engine (1.9 wbx) actually move this fine van over the mountains east of Phoenix, and then be expected to go a further 2000 miles at 70 mph to Maryland?" Well, the clatter quieted down after about a half hour, only to be replaced soon after by the drone of a leaky exhaust header, which never became objectionable in tone from my vantage point at the helm of this ship. Most days, the thing actually had some semblance of power, but maybe those were the days with tailwinds pushing us along. At the first fuel stop, I noticed the all-too-familiar odor of fresh coolant-on-a-hot-pipe. The right cylinder head had developed a crack around one of the visible head retaining nuts, and was dribbling the precious green onto the rear-most exhaust pipe. Keeping a close eye this new problem, I found that I needed to refill the rear bottle every 100 to 150 miles, so we actually made it home with the loss of 5 or so gallons of coolant. Much to my surprise, the little tired powerplant used a meager one quart of engine oil for the entire 2300 or so miles, and achieved a constant 19 to 20 mpg! Larry said the van would 'probably' make it across the width of the US, and he was right! Now Turd will rest for a few more months before he has a new turbodiesel heart replacing the tired wbx, along with taller stiffer springs and bigger, meatier tires. He will become my Westy fix during those long months while Otto, my turbodiesel Syncro, is under the knife/torch to correct arrest his downslide into the netherworlds of rustdom.

My only hope for my dear friend Larry is that his new 'Wunder-engine revision-E' will be as trouble-free as this one has been. For some reason I have my doubts, but wish him the best. Maybe the 1.9 would be better suited for the task.

Karl Mullendore Westy Ventures Back off the road again, for a short spell