Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 May 2003 11:43:22 -0400
From:         "jon@foreignautosupply" <jon@FOREIGNAUTOSUPPLY.COM>
Subject:      Re: TIICO oil pump
Comments: To: Trvlr2001@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: TiiCo <sales@tiico.com>

Hi John,

Last summer into fall of last year, a few engine numbers came thru with an updated (or so they thought) oil pump pick up. The oil pumps were fine, it was the pick up that caused a small problem. On brake lock up stops going down steep grades and on severe abrupt turns the oil light would flicker. After testing we found that we were not actually losing oil pressure but the base or screen of the new style pump pick up actually was angled a little differently triggering the light for a quick second as the oil forcefully sloshed into it. The newly designed pick ups were tubular stamped metal, like on golf,jetta's and foxes etc. not like the cast ones of the diesel vans. The fix is to drop the pan and change the pick up with a cast one. The factory was notified and changed immediately back to the old style. Exact engine numbers were not able to be given because that particular item was not tracked. We believe under 10 to 15 engines were with this pick up. Retail customers that could be traced were notified. No engine damage has or should be reported from this. Oil pressure stays within spec even at light flicker. It is more of a quick heart stopping nuisance for a customer who has had it happen. If you have questions on wether or not your engine is with incorrect pick up please contact either myself or Peter@sales@tiico.com and we can tell you an easy check to find out. Bear in mind, I can't speak for others on the list but I'm sure others such as Ken@vanagain.com recently with fuel rail questions would appreciate it if customers would contact us directly in regards to questions on products we've provided for them...it's called courtesy and no one can help someone if they do not know a problem is occuring. Many thanks Jon ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Carpenter" <Trvlr2001@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 9:45 AM Subject: TIICO Recall?