Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 May 2003 14:44:09 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: dual battery relay
Comments: To: Harald Rust <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>

Harold has a good diagram for adding a second battery to a Westy using the light duty relay method. Here is the link.

http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/images/dualbattery_diagram2.jpg

For those who want to use a larger relay and suitably larger wires a minor change is suggested to the relay control lead connections. Even those using the smaller stuff could make this change and then the connections to the existion wiring would be slightly less intrusive and more versatile. On the new relay, instead of hooking it to the existing black wire, ground the wire coming from new relay terminal 85 or its equivalent on a larger relay. Use the mounting screw of either relay for this ground. Then connect the wire from new relay terminal 86 or it's equivalent to terminal 30 of the existing relay. Use a piggyback female-double male adaptor.

In this way there is no damage to the existing wire insulation and the added relay does not present any additional load to the D+ lead of the alternator. The added relay is instead controlled by the existing relay and only activates when the existing one does. I have installed numerous heavy duty aux bat relays in this manner on other Westys.

For those who install a big relay and wires there is an added benefit of this control lead change. The aux battery can be more easily used to jump the main battery for starting. If you have a Westy with the 2 fuses behind the driver's seat it is really easy. Remove the cover from the the 2 fuses and short accross the tops of them with a coin. You will hear the aux bat relay click and the batteries are hooked together for as long as you hold the coin in place (unless the main bat is really dead). Those without these fuses or those wanting to be able to do this even with the main bat really dead can add a momentary switch by wiring one in between terminal 86 and 30 of the aux relay. Write for more details if you need them.

Mark