Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 May 2003 11:14:54 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dealer repair disaster '89 Westfalia
Comments: To: Strawn <scstrawn@EEE.ORG>

Hi Sally,

Sorry to hear of your troubles over your van.

You have gotten some good advice from the membership on this list. I just want to add that this is one of those situations where you want to take it to the mat. Do not back off the pressure the least little bit. The dealership is responsible for the situation regards the condition of your van, engine and upholstery, and must make adequate compensation. Every effort will be made to get around you on this, but hold their feet to the fire. There will be an effort to start chipping away at the degree financial responsibility to you, by denials, offers, etc. But do not yield. I'm pretty certain that you have them over a barrel.

Consider, too, that not only has there been damage to your vehicle, there has also been loss of its use, expense in having to deal with all this .... loss of your time spent in dealing with it (lost wages due to loss time on the job, maybe), rental car expense possibley, long distance phone calls, possibly attorney fees,, stress --- is there a monetary value to stress caused by all this.....you bet... and a good attorney will help you define it. Doctors fees .......prescriptions needed to releive the stress......??? interesting possibilities, yes? Not suggesting a lack of veracity, just showing there are may possible additional expenses that could be incurred that no one has thought of.

You also should get prices for a Tiico engine installation, and also a newly rebuilt Boston Bob engine and the installation charges for same so you have some comparison with what the alternatives would have been, could have been, to what you got from the dealer.

I learned over time as a Vanagon owner, that I needed to know a lot about my vehicle, as a matter of self protection from those mechanics and dealers who were not knowlegeable or didn't care about me and my van. So I read, studied, looked, and watdched others when work was to be done on my van. I now know enough that when I do have occassion to take my van to a repair place, I know when the mechanic or dealer knows what he is talking about, or whether he is qualified to wod the work, or whether he is smart enough and has the right attitude to solve a problem he may not have experience on or know about. There are many good, diligent mechanics who have never worked on a Vanagon, but with some coaching from me, plus my books on the van, can and do good work, with me looking over their shoulder. A good general mechanic knows key points that are troublesome on any vehicle, and coolant hoses and fuel lines are some of those points. The specific knowledge may not be there, but the general knowledge is sufficient to make him look into it as a matter of good mechanical practice.

I used to be an aircraft mechanic, and everytime the cowling was off of an engine, no matter what the reason was, all the fuel lines, oil lines, hydraulic lines, vacuum line, etc, got a look see for wear, looseness, general condition. So did all the electrical wiring. It was routine. Good vehicle maintenance is the same.

If you wish to remain a Van owner, you will oviously need to develop an in depth knowledge of the vehicle, so you can more adequately direct maintenance if nothing else. The vanagon is a unique machine, and to get the best from it, and long trouble free service, you must know it's indiosyncracies. Do that, and you will have years of enjoyable motoring in your van. My van is my daily driver, and I enjoy it much. But one of my reall joys in life is when I'm in my van, have just cleared the city limits, and have put the pedal to the metal and there is an open road ahead. Especially when I am headed west. Especially when I am reasonably sure that all is in good condition mechanically and my journey will be trouble free.

Hope this all works out well for you. I know how badly I hate to be ripped off.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver