Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 May 2003 13:42:28 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Reinforced Tires?
Comments: To: tjhannink@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 5/6/03 12:36:51 PM, tjhannink@YAHOO.COM writes:

<< . . . The ply-rating of a particular tire is not commonly available at a tire dealer . . .>>

It is so uncommon that the ply rating is molded into the sidewall of any tire made.

<<. . . A max inflation pressure of 44 psi is usually a reinforced sidewall tire . . .>>

If you want to make this into a valid statement, change the "is usually" to "might be".

<< . . . The first (and only) Syncro Camper GL I have ever seen close up had a set of Goodyear Aquatreads in the P205/70R14 size with a '93' load rating with a max 35 psi inflation pressure. The vans owner swore by them, they were his second set.>>

So what? All this proves is that the guy was a fool or cheap or cheap and therefore a fool.

<< . . . Unfortunately, some tire dealers don't train their people well enough to understand (or even to look at) the tire recommendation stickers located in the door jamb. . . >>

The first thing the service writer at any decent tire shop will do is to stroll outside and look at the tire sticker, especially on a car which he seldom sees. If he doesn't do that, go somewhere else or save a buck and just get your tires from the Pep Boys.

<< . . .I would consider the value of the cargo you carry in your van . . .>>

In other words, how much do you value your ass?

I deny no one the right to ask a question nor to start a tire thread, but I finally see why some viewers of this list get a little testy when the word "tires" is mentioned. Why on earth expend all these words of speculation and worthless anecdotal insights when the necessary information is contained concisely on the 2 X 4 inch Mylar sticker slapped on the door jamb? I think the effort would be better spent discussing what we are going to do when a 185R14 sized tire is no longer available, and, believe me, after my most recent foray into the world of rubber, I think that day is fast approaching. If nothing else, perhaps we could scare up a manufacturer who will make the proper ring and pinions so that we can have drivable vans once we are forced to use 15 inch wheels.

George