Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 May 2003 19:28:19 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dealer Disaster (Update #2)
Comments: To: Strawn <scstrawn@EEE.ORG>

Great pictures. Now for some more information. That hose did not fail due to age. The way the cords are ripped indicates that the cooling system became extremely over pressurized. The excess pressure caused the hose to fail and a new hose would have only bought some time or some thing would have failed else where. Now, how did the system become over pressurized? There can be a number of causes but here are some that I see frequently.

Although the heads were replaced, it is probable that they did not seal correctly where the heads meet the cylinders. This is the common internal head gasket leak that is the real kiss of death for the cooling system. A compression and leak down test should have been performed after the work was done and the engine was cycled and put under load for a while. This condition will often not show up until a long drive at highway speeds or extended operation climbing hills or slow traffic. As the combustion gasses build up, two things can happen. The coolant will eventually flow out of the pressure cap or the system will "vapor Lock" and the coolant will stop flowing. The gasses will usually start to collect in the main expansion tank often pushing the coolant low enough to uncover the low coolant sensor and cause the red light to come on. At this point, the engine needs to be shut down immediately. You can not rely on the coolant gauge as the gauge sensor is not mounted on the head or engine. In fact, it is mounted on a plastic manifold. The coolant temperature sensor indicates the "bulk" coolant temp of the water flowing through and out of the engine. When the coolant stops flowing, the gauge will read the temperature of the coolant in that manifold, not the actual engine temperature. That is why there is the low coolant level warning light. When the water stops flowing, the heads will get hot very fast. Without the coolant flowing, the water left in or near them (depending on how much leaks out) will quickly turn to steam. At this point, the heads gaskets (inner and outer) are gone and the head will start to warp, pull out the studs, and the valves will start to burn. If run like this long enough, the heads and possibly the pistons will start to melt. Pinging and power loss is apparent. The relief valve on the pressure cap can only vent so much, next goes the hoses or if they don't fail, the radiator and heater cores will explode.

Now, what went wrong? In my opinion, the engine was not adequately tested after the work was performed. Any engine can have internal leaks or other failures after major repairs. Proper testing after the job is often more important than the repair itself. In addition to shop performing diagnostic tests after the work, additional driving and observation should have been made before the onset of a long trip. Erratic coolant temperature, coolant blowing out he back or bubbles in the expansion tanks should have been observed be fore the failure. At that point, this would be an easy warranty repair.

I seem to recall in an earlier post that while driving the low coolant light came on, but since the temperature gauge appeared normal, you continued driving, (I may be wrong). This creates a gray area as to who is responsible. No warranty can be expected to cover abuse or negligence. Continued operation like this is not any different than operating the engine after you know you lost the oil pressure.

You will need to prove that the hose failure was actually caused by the engine. Not that the hose caused the engine to fail. Age related hose failures are usually small leaks or failures where the hoses are connected, (under the clamps). Although the hose rubber deteriates with age, the cords do not. That cord failure definitely indicates an over pressure condition.

Good Luck, and I hope you win some relief, Dennis