Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 May 2003 09:21:00 -0330
From:         Tom Rowsell <nfld_exile@WARP.NFLD.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil Drain Plug, 1.9 vs. 2.1 ?? Plug removal Success !!!

Yes, I think that's a valid concern. I am told that the "SD-2" model of the FRAM thingy fits a vanagon. I wouldn't get one though, for the reason you state. Instead I bought an "Oil-Tite" brand drain plug from Canadian Tire. It's a M14-1.50 Standard. Oil-Tite's model number is 265230, and the Canadian Tire number is 17-6670-0. The one I removed had a 13mm hex head whereas this new one requires a 17mm socket. I finally got the old one out using a "bolt-out". This is a special socket from Sears/Craftsman. It worked like a charm. I started with the 13mmm bolt-out but that quickly rounded the bolt worse. I thought I was up the proverbial creek. Then I went for the 1/2" bolt-out. I had to tap it on gently with a hammer, but when I started torqing on it, the spiraled "ridges" on this new "bolt-out" started to bite, and I heard the lovely sound of the plug snapping free. See link below for a picture of old and new...

http://home.tomrowsell.com/plug

I don't know if anyone else makes a device such as these Sears Bolt-Outs, but they certainly worked like a charm for me in this case. You've probalby seen Bob Vila (sp) advertising them on TV :)

Tom