Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 May 2003 10:54:20 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning the engine bay...
Comments: To: Al Ferguson <al_ferguson01@YAHOO.COM>

I have owned my '90 Westy since new, so I have been able to keep the engine bay from getting too cruddy. I clean it at home, with a garden hose connected to the laundry tub in the garage so I can use hot water. Also helps to have the engine warm or hot also. I cover the alternator and dist. with plastic, taping it around with masking tape. Spray any really greasy spots with Gunk or Simple Green concentrated. Combination of hot engine and hot water seems to keep moisture out of vulnerable spots, but obviously, move fast and avoid excess water. I chase out the excess water with the air from the discharge side of a vacuum cleaner, remove the plastic and start the engine as soon as possible. Never had a problem. Sometime when the engine is clean and dry, you can use liquid electrical tape to seal the ends of the wiring sleeves to keep water out of them. As a subsequent reply mentioned, cover the back seat and area around the bay or have rags handy to wipe the area down. Jerry ----- Original Message ----- From: "Al Ferguson" <al_ferguson01@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 10:56 PM Subject: Cleaning the engine bay...