Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 May 2003 16:09:18 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: head internal leak.  Any chance of sealer working

Dennis, this might be the case. My muffler and general exhaust system might be leaking, which might be making the problem worse.

This is my second 1.9L waterboxer in the same van within a year. I bought the current one used on eBay for $180. Cheap! and it works... well, better than the old one.

Story of the 1st waterboxer... My first waterboxer suffered from a cracked head. I found this out after taking out and reinstalling the head a few times. Originally, the problem was not so bad, just some white smoke when I cranked the engine up cold. However, the problem got worse after a radiator hose blew out in the desert in Arizona, about 700 miles from home :-( After I swapped the heads, there was no white smoke when I started the engine and also the coolant temp would stay dead on in the center. The engine eventually succumbed to low oil pressure.

Story of 2nd waterboxer This baby had been sitting idle for some time. The van was junked due to vandalism. A nice guy shipped it to me from Washington. Installed the engine, put some coolant in, changed oil and filter and it ran! There was some water coming out the exhaust, but I figured it was because the engine was idle. Well, after about a month, the problem persists. Other than this, the van runs fine. So, I'm thinking of dumping in 16 oz of KW Block Seal http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/crc401016d.html

Read the marketing crap (which I've succumbed to) on this snake oil "This Permanent Metallic Block Seal is guaranteed to seal holes and cracks in cast iron and aluminum engine blocks and cylinder heads, head gaskets, freeze plugs, and copper, aluminum, all metal, plastic and bi-material radiators and heater cores. It forms a permanent molecular seal (not a temporary patch) that is as strong as steel. It will not break away or wash out. Treats six-cylinder and larger engines and can be used with gas or diesel engines. When using this product, add to water only...NOT to antifreeze or oil! Treats cooling system with a capacity of 6 gallons or less."