Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 May 2003 21:19:55 -0700
From:         Strawn <scstrawn@EEE.ORG>
Subject:      Dealer repair disaster (Update)

First of all, many thanks to everyone who replied to my disaster story - I got a ton of good, useable advice on this - you folks are great!

I had several requests for dealer info so others can avoid similar problems, so here it is: Freeway VW 1600 S. Camino Real San Bernardino, CA 92408

I did end up taking the van out of the dealer's and up to Erik the independent mechanic this afternoon. I just didn't trust the dealer to give me the straight skinny on it, much less do the repairs, and they were becoming nasty enough that I didn't even trust them with the van on their lot. The service manager was unwilling to discuss anything beyond his offer from yesterday (but he did say "you're still my sweetheart". I said he was not mine). Erik took just a quick look to see which hose blew, and it was the large hose leading directly to the right head. In other words, the mechanic had to remove and reattach this hose, which was obviously old and could easily have been replaced. Interestingly, he had replaced some smaller hoses on the opposite side (never mentioned to me and not on the listed repairs), but not this one and not another large one which is obviously (by look and feel) old and in need of replacing. I took digital photos (with Erik there watching) of the whole engine compartment, the hoses which had been replaced and those which were not, the ruptured hose, the new fuel injectors and belts which I approved, and the new heads, one of which is new and one rebuilt. Erik was dumbfounded that the hose that blew had not been replaced and said that he feels I have a really good case against the dealer. He will document what he finds and keep all parts he replaces. He also tried to start the van and found that it does indeed have some compression, and he's going to see if it actually needs a motor. The heads look ok and it doesn't look as if anything got extremely hot, but of course it's too early to tell on that one... I am going to go after the dealer in every way I can and will follow up with the BBB, our CA Dept of Consumer Affairs and Bureau of Automotive Repairs and VWOA. I'm also lucky enough to have found a lawyer I know personally who is drooling to get her hands on the whole thing, so as soon as Erik has had a chance to look it over and I know exactly what damage I'm dealing with here, I'll start those processes. As my nephew says, I'm like a hornet's nest - looks like a nice little harmless buzzing thing, but don't poke a stick in it. The Wrath of Strawn is not often seen, but it is not pretty ... the service manager will see that I am *not* his "Sweetheart"! ;-) Thanks again for all the great advice on this, gang. It has been enormously helpful. I'll post another update as soon as Erik has a chance to check things out, and will also keep you posted on what does and doesn't work in fighting the dealer. Many thanks to all!!! Sally