Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 May 2003 09:53:18 -0400
From:         David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>
Subject:      Re: Tiico Engine Questions
Comments: To: George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>

On Thu, 8 May 2003, George Goff wrote:

> You'll find plenty in the archives. I was ready to go the TiiCo route, but > several things give me pause. > > Firstly, I have read scores of emails on this list regarding problems with > the TiiCo installations, yet, I never recall seeing a reply from the elusive > Peter who I am lead to believe is Mr. TiiCo incarnate.

From what I've gathered, there are people with TiiCos who are happy. Most seem to have done some of tweaks of their own to the installation, though.

I have no direct experience, but here's my opinion after reading the list for a while: There's no such thing as a trouble-free engine swap. A TiiCo is no different than putting in a Subaru engine, or a Porsche boxer, or a Toyota V6 that way; you'll have to do some of your own fabrication and maintenance, and there'll be stuff that isn't right that has to be sorted out. As Bob Hoover put it once, once you put in a non-stock engine you're the chief engineer and you have to come up with solutions to any problems that occur. Anyone who isn't prepared to deal with that should probably get a new Wasserboxer instead. After all, the old one lasted you this long, a new one is going to last you a while too.

Engine swaps have a certain geeky appeal to me but I doubt I'd ever do one. I can't imagine breaking down on the road and then having to try to explain to a mechanic that my VW is really a Subaru. ;)

Now, what was that quote about talking for a long time about stuff you know nothing about? I'd like to tack it on here as a disclaimer. ;)

David Brodbeck, N8SRE '82 Diesel Westfalia '94 Honda Civic Si