Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 May 2003 14:32:53 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hey folks;  horror;  New Beetle?

So you picked up an "02 beetle at an auction. It is probably bank repossession. I can imagine how it was taken care of, especially once they new the repo man was coming.

The battery was dead. How did they move it around at the auction? 1.75 volts indicates one or more open cells. You got it jump started and then drove it with an "open" battery. Future electrical failures, here we come. Good luck with just replacing the battery. Plan on an alternator soon and anything else that resembles electronics.

Needed fuel so you mixed gasoline and engine oil. I'll bet the fuel injection and the engine loved that combo.

Good luck with your new toy.

Dennis

Hey everybody. Been awhile. Good to see you too. Right, its been awhile for sure.

Listen I need help today and I request this post take the place of my usual and customary goofy Friday post. And to all of you who can remember, I promise not to say the "G" word.

. . . .<thoughts of R.A. "Bob" Alexander flash through, and the City of Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee issuing him a citation for 3 foot tall grass in front of his veternary clinic with a loaf cocked to one side by the building> but I digress as usual

I just picked up an 02 Beetle TDI. I write this because I remember some of you bought them. On this '02 NB the dad gum battery was *completely* dead. As in reading about 1.7v. That's pretty darn dead. Charging it up didn't help. Driving it home from the car auction with my client for two hours didn't even help. Going through the ghetto at 12:30a on a Friday night with the fuel so low in the reserve that the needle was a hairline above the 'zero' in fuel gauge didn't help my blood pressure. Talk about sweating. We picked the car up late Fri. night. The place is open 24-7. I didn't know it was everything self serve. Well, the car was just about slap out of diesel. Now these car auction places are usually in the worst parts of town, and so it was here. We left and began looking for diesel with none to be found. I was scared half to death and sweating. It was like Mogadishu, Somalia. I'm not racist, but a white boy with little studious glasses driving a brand new Beetle through the midst of hundreds of black people walking about with cell phones and cigarettes, beer, and making transactions in the middle of the night at a convenience store with burglar bars and bullet proof glass is not a good situation to be running out of diesel. I finally had to make a command emergency decision. The car was literally on fumes. I pulled into said conv. store and put in a half gallon of regular gas which I made my own diesel by pouring in about one fourth motor oil directly into the tank. I figured I would err on the side of over-oiling. Several came up begging for money. One guy asked me what the hell I was doing. I fully explained in a friendly way. He must have liked it, or thought I was sent by the Gods to impart wisdom because then he said he would *never* buy diesel again - -he would just make it, like me. My heart fell. Poor guy, I thought. Crack must have destroyed his brain. My client was scared shipless because he said some of them were beginning to circle around us just as we boosted the car off yet again to get the heck out of there. Just then a technical pulled in front of us and looked like he was blocking my exit. I almost had to go over the curb. I can still his face. Driving an old Caprice with every square inch showing some body damage, no front bumper or cover, the headlight enclosures missing leaving the headlamps dangling straight out like some bug eyed monster. To top it all , the driver was wearing some huge dark glasses and he was fat as hell. Looked like a killer. I was so happy to be driving and *safe* (a mere illusion) that I was chuckling to myself with tears welling up in my eyes. (okay I'm a baby when it comes to getting my throat slit)

Anyway, I digress again. Man, I gotta stop that someday.

Well, my question is do any of you have a NB? Have you had any weird electrical problems? The lights on this car blink when the ac is turned on, and the whole thing shuddered and almost died when I pulled the headlamp switch OUT to activate fog lamp. I'm talking at 75 mph on the interstate. Electrical nightmare. Hit the windows and something beeps. The door locks and the inst cluster goes haywire, then back to normal.

What I am hoping for (read: praying) is that this battery is just getoasten and low voltage is causing these weird happenstances. Have to wait for the dealer to open up this week I guess because no parts store of any kind around here seems to have a battery for that car. When I got home after a two hour drive, I shut the car off and guess what? When I opened the door the light didn't even come on. Turned the key and nada, nothing. Deader than Hector.

Folks, I've never seen anything like it. It's good to be back.

Sorry for the long story but I thought you guys would appreciate it. Pics of the NB to anyone who wants.

hk