Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 May 2003 14:59:20 -0400
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <hksawyer@CATT.COM>
Subject:      New Beetle screw up
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>

At 02:32 PM 5/11/03 -0400, Dennis Haynes wrote: >So you picked up an "02 beetle at an auction. It is probably bank >repossession. I can imagine how it was taken care of, especially once >they new the repo man was coming.

Yep. Probably right.

>The battery was dead. How did they move it around at the auction? 1.75 >volts indicates one or more open cells. You got it jump started and then >drove it with an "open" battery. Future electrical failures, here we >come. Good luck with just replacing the battery. Plan on an alternator >soon and anything else that resembles electronics.

Arghh. Wonder if it fried the computers. Probably huh? Ship. What more can I say . . . At the scene, I thought (as just about anybody would) that it was simply a discharged battery rather than a truly DEAD battery . . . Like I said, "ship."

>Needed fuel so you mixed gasoline and engine oil. I'll bet the fuel >injection and the engine loved that combo.

Yep, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. In desperate situations you have to *act* as best you can with *what* you have. I had nothing, my man. Nothing but the brain the good Lord gave me. I did what I thought I had to survive and get home alive. Plus, while driving only about 8 miles up the road to discover a diesel station open, I never noticed any change in the sound of the engine and I was very easy on accel. I've been driving diesels longer than some of these people have been born. : )

>Good luck with your new toy. > >Dennis

Thanks Dennis. It was supposed to be for my wife. I got my own toys.

Okay so I screwed up with the whole deal from buying the car to getting it home? Bummed out is not the word my man. But I guess only time will tell. At least you guys will have a little bit more knowledge based on my pitfalls and avoidances. I will be calling you to rebuild all my comps and electricals. By giving this advice above you are deemed to accepted that job in advance. ; 8