Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 May 2003 15:04:49 -0400
From:         Mike Kozak <kozakmike1@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      pop top / high top compromise modification

I am considering fixing (ruining?) my pop top such that it will be raised partially (12 inches) semi permanently. I would attach a knee wall type affair around the pop top in this raised position. Make it out of fiberglass or sheet metal. Have it attached to the pop top and seal all the way around the same location that the pop top presently seals at the top of the body. Fabricate it such that it stays attached to the top, seals along the bottom and can still be raised along with the pop top it the normal fashion. This would not require any changing of the pop top other than attaching the wall to the pop top and creating a seal against the top of the van.

Since it would only raise the pop top a foot higher than normal I don't think the wind drag would be as severe as a normal high top. I would still be able to walk around homo erectus without the pop top fully deployed. I would still get normal ventilation since when fully open the window in the fabric would be unobstructed.

Has anyone else thought about or done this type of modification?

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Mike Kozak - the hunchback of westfalia 87 Westy

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus