Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 May 2003 21:37:58 +0200
From:         Per Martin Joraholmen <per_martin_j@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Engine suffocating

Hi all..

I've been reading lot of stuff about the Vanagon syndrome. My -86 Caravelle 1,9L has all the symptoms, loss of power, stuttering, bulcking and so on. The only difference is that it happens after 2 minutes (not two hours) and it stays that way. Turn it off and than on again does not help. The only thing that helps is to apply full power, just holding the pedal to the floor and the power will come back. Dropping the RPM, power gone again.

When in idle, it sounds like the engine is suffocating or running heavily on low RPM for some time, then return briefly to normal, only to start suffocating again. The air filter is fairly new, but I have also taken the filer out, just in case that was the problem.

Had this problem briefly last summer, and the car has been running nicely all winter.

I have cleaned all the grounds (just in case).

Any ideas ?

You can listen to the engine sound at http://joraholmen.shacknet.nu

Thanks

Per