Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 May 2003 20:19:37 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear Brakes, removing drum from hub
Comments: cc: developtrust@cox.net

William, If you are lucky enough not to know what a tire chain is I suspect that you have not also heard of the term chain monkey. Some of us live in climates that have snow. Tire chains are those things required by california on interstate 80 and hiway 50 to get into the mountains when it is snowing hard. I used an old tire chain to pull the drum because a lot of people have these thing laying around. Actually any chain or anything that you can secure around the drum so you can pry the drum loose will work. I think that wrapping and tightening the chain around the drum actually distorts the drum a bit so that it pops off more easily. Now william the most important thing here is I hope you never need to actually use a tire chain for what it is designed for which is to go in snow. I came from Iowa and we never needed them there, just in california and oregon and I am far to old to want to ever use a tire chain again but perhaps to pull a drum. So what do you think a chain monkey is? many happy miles, gary

Gary, what is a tire chain. I've never heard of one. William