Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 May 2003 22:29:41 -0600
From:         George Thorburn <thorgk@ACCESSCOMM.CA>
Subject:      Re: Clutch
Comments: To: mike boland <westy@mvboland.com>
Comments: cc: Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com>,
          John Rodgers <j_rodgers@charter.net>

Mike, I drove the van some more today and the clutch seemed to improve. Someone (Stan I think) suggested pumping the pedal 50 times. Between driving and pumping the pedal the clutch got better. When I got home I loosened the bleed screw and some fluid ran out, I kept the reservoir full and let the bleed screw run until about 1/2 of a small bottle of DOT 4 fluid went in. Now the pedal works higher than it ever has. I guess that the seals were stiff from sitting all winter and it took a bit of motion to get them to work. I did not notice any bubbles or water but the old fluid looked brown. I'm not sure why the fluid would not gravity bleed when the mechanic tried it. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

George '85 Westfalia

----- Original Message ----- From: "mike boland" <westy@mvboland.com> To: "George Thorburn" <thorgk@accesscomm.ca> Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2003 6:24 PM Subject: Re: Clutch