Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 2003 06:42:30 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: heating issue on 85
Comments: To: Martinez <mart1nez@PACBELL.NET>

Could be lots of things.

BE sure your coolant is the proper ratio - 50/50 water/coolant.

Listen for the fan. In warm weather in normal operation the needle will go just above the low coolant warning light, and you should hear the fan first stage cycle on and off .... not to loud, but you can hear it. If overheating, the second stage should kick in and IT IS LOUD!! Can't miss. If as you say you are getting overheating - needle closer to the top than the middle of the gage, and that fan has not kicked in sounding like a jet taking off - then you definitely have a cooling fan problem.

Also possible is the water pump is worn and not enough coolant is circulating fast enough. That is a bit of a stretch however.

My first Vanagon was and 85 GL with 100,000 miles on it. After getting the new ownership bugs worked out, I put another trouble free 115,000 on it. That little 1.9L engine was running strong and was only beginning to use a little oil. Never had a lick of trouble from it. Stout engine, stout van.

Good luck in you hunt, and enjoy your new van.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver