Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 2003 06:43:13 -0700
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 84 Windshield AND Seal recovery
Comments: To: Craig <jimcricket@KENDRA.COM>

I never tried to replace a windshield myself, but I understoof it to be very easy. So when I needed a windshield, I paid the pros to come out and do it. Comparison shopping found me someone to come to my place and replace it with a new windshield for $140.

Anyway, I watched them perform the procedure. It took about 20 seconds to remove the old one and 30 seconds to install the new one. Here is what they did:

Removal: - two people may be required - each person used a radiator hose removal tool - each person used the tool to wedge out one top corner of the windshield - after very little wedging, they thumped the windshield from the inside; and it started coming out - they pushed out the top, moving outside to inside - then pulled out the sides and lifted it out - pull off the old rubber - the old rubber was in average condition and they saved it

Installing - install the rubber - spray the edge that goes against the body with silicone spray to make it pliable - in the gap of the rubber all the way around, place a piece of rope, approximately 1/4" in diameter, amybe a little thicker - place the rope so that it meets at the middle bottom of the windshield, overlap by a few inches - place the windshield on the car - have one person push from the outside at the middle bottom - other person pulls the rope, by pulling the rope, you pull the rubber over the body - one person continues pulling the rope, while the other pushes the windshield from the opposite side - done in no time

--- Craig <jimcricket@KENDRA.COM> wrote: > Hallo all, > > This is what I want to do: I want to recover/salvage > a nearly new > windshield AND seal from a van at the salvage yard. > The archives give me > plenty of info and tips on recovering the glass, but > I really want to get > the soft and supple seal to accompany it. The > archives revealed little to > me except for the guy who used a whole bunch of > butter knives as prys on > both the inside and out, not to mention four extra > hands and some lubricant. > > Any experience or knowledge on this subject > available? > > Thanks, Skinflint Jones