Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 2003 12:03:15 -0700
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: vacuum hose
Comments: To: vgonman@MSN.COM

Over the years of running an Air Cooled Westy I found that the original configuration of short rubber hoses and rigid plastic tubing worked some better than the big hoses. It comes down to time of activation vs volume of air moved to activate various devices. It is a small thing but there was method to their madness. The rigid plastic is readily available from FLAPS just as the rubber hose is. One more thing I discovered. Vanagons with Water cooled engines use a full loop fuel system, again a small variance from Air Cooled that use a single dead end line to the fuel regulator. Replacing the single fuel inlet fuel regulator with a dual entry fuel regulator from the Water Cooled Vanagon eliminated fuel starvation on #3 cylinder and relieved the lean burn that causes #3 to overheat and drop valve seats, seize pistons and just generally be the first low compression cylinder on the Air Cooled engine. The regulator operates on the same pressure requirements and this is a worthwhile modification if you've inspected your spark plugs and see #3 plug running hotter then the other three. I consistently blamed the injector for this lean burn condition and swapped injectors around and replaced some with new injectors. I invested about 200$ trying to resolve the problem before I just decided to take a few innovative shots in the dark to solve the problem. This simple modification smoothed out the idle, produced more power and increased fuel mileage and it lowered the #3 cylinder temps from near 400 degrees in hard running back to 350 in the same operating conditions.

Stan Wilder

On Mon, 12 May 2003 12:15:01 -0400 Vanagon man <Vanagon@MSN.COM> writes: > That hose is the fuel pressure regulator. It is small like 3mm > ID.but any > skinny vacuum line will work from the flaps. > > Most likely is that you are using more gas then you need > to...........pressure is increased at the injectors, and the > electrical > pulse that opens and closes the injectors remains the > same.......thus more > fuel in same amount of time. My theory anyway........... > > > Adam P > 81 Westy "The Brick " > 70 Single Cab "Whitey" > 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" > 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) > 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg > 1976 Transporter (New CA bus) > 1974 412 "Goldmember" > Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Tonya Pope" <Tonya@HOLOREALITY.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, May 12, 2003 11:37 AM > Subject: vacuum hose > > > > Hi all, > > > > I need to find out the size (if there is such a thing) of the > vacuum > > hose on my 87 that connects (get ready for technical jargon) -- > the > > cylinder thingie at the top/middle of the engine - just to the > right of > > the distributor cap - to something underneath it. The cylinder > > thingie has three big tube like things also sticking into it. > The > > vacuum hose connects to a nipple on the end. > > > > Also - what changes in engine performance would happen if this > > hose were worn, cracked, or just plain not attached any more? It > > was off when I opened the engine compartment this morning, not > > sure how long it's been that way. The end that connects to the > > cylinder thingie is cracked so probably isn't forming a good > seal. > > > > Thanks all! > > Tonya > > 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs > > > >

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!