Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 2003 12:21:23 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 12 May 2003 - Special issue (#2003-508)

matthias, The temperature shifts are claissic signs of having air in the coolant system. After replacing the water pump the van needs to be bleed right. If your mechanic is bleeding the system properly than some how air is getting insto the system. It also seems that perhaps you may have a problem with your blue cap that sets the pressure on the back tank. If that has not been replaced you should replace it. If it has been replaced you might consider putting the old one back on. I think that your problem may not be with the waterpump? gary

Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 08:10:08 -0700 From: zampano <matthias.k@ATTBI.COM> Subject: water pump #4 in a year, vent hole leak

Hi Volks,

I had the water pump replaced under warranty again two weeks ago by a mechanic. The thing is leaking out of the vent hole. It did it before, and before that it did it before. You get the idea. My van is a 84 WBX 1.9l w/manual tranny. What puzzles me most is the erratic behavior of my temp gauge. It went up to little past where usually the van comes on, a hair past the LED, after going uphill in 4th gear on the freeway, at about 3200rpms, doing maybe 55mph (my speedo is highly embellished), for 5 minutes tops. It then went back down, but came back up, on the flats. I pulled over and saw squirted water, not just steam, allover my pulley, coolant pipes, extension tank etc. Can the vent hole squirt out so intensely??? I double checked all my other hoses, clamps etc and don't see where else it would come from. Maybe it's venting out on to the belt, then tossed allover.

I know it is leaking, but that usually only happens overnight, and leaves a puddle the size of a spread out hand. It has snail tracks from the vent hole running down, but doesn't do it when I run the motor, to my knowledge.

What is the right water pump to install??

Happy Trails

matthias