Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 2003 15:34:30 -0700
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Living without my 83 Westy
Comments: cc: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Having sold my Air Cooled 83 Westy of eight years of ownership and many hundreds of thousands of miles of happy travels, I decided to think through the daily differences in my life and here is what a came up with. The lawn is getting mowed, more regularly, the hedges also got trimmed. I don’t have that feeling of wanting to go find Larry Chase and race him coast to coast anymore. I no longer have that feeling of wanting to hit the road every time that I had looking at the Westy. I’ve given up going to garage sales buying unneeded camping gear. The small cluster of freckles, cause by an oil drip on the drive have been removed. My entrepreneur’s collection of Vanagon and Westy parts seems to have grown disproportionately for a person owning just one Westy. I’m feeling like selling off some of my most treasured NLA Westy parts. Others have also noticed a change in me: Mom (87) says (never rode in the Westy). It sure was a cute little van. Good you still got that 66, I’ll always know where to find you if you’re not in the house. Older Brother says. Boy you sure took good care of that van, everybody really liked it. Younger Brother says. Hope I can get that many miles out of my Mercedes. Dad (94) said. That thing was always broke. Poppy (the 7month old dog) said. I much prefer the luxury of the Crown Victoria rear seat and the quality air conditioning. I notice that I salivate less and sleep better in the back seat of the Crown Vic. Neighbor said. Wish I knew it was for sale, I been thinking about getting one. Local parts vendor. He was speechless and couldn’t speak because he was sobbing so badly. Said something about closing up and just selling out. Local Bar Owner “Bobby Joe”. He’s been trying to sell me his ancient Porsche for two years. Bobby Joe says; Well Stan now you can slip around on that girlfriend of yours, that big green van was like a giant waving red flag. Every crown Vic looks like a NARC car, she’ll meet lots of nice cops running into bars looking for you. Those numbers behind Dad and Mom are their age; I haven’t given them team player numbers like the NFL. So here is where I’m at these days. I’m thinking about buying Wasser Boxer Westy with a dead engine and installing an Air Cooled engine in it (Heat, we don’t need no stinking heat and I’m severely blessed with more than enough parts to do the job.) I’ve been cruising some local Wasser Boxers that have Acme bricks behind the back wheels and I’m thinking about approaching one of the owners and insulting him with an offer. I’m getting closer to getting the Engine Ceramics thing up and running and I’m going to need a test vehicle for my first super FuFu fully ceramic enhanced engine.

Stan Wilder