Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 2003 19:13:12 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Check Compression:  Warm or cold engine?
Comments: To: wilden1@JUNO.COM

Stan, In my aviation mechanic days, we ALWAYS removed plugs from a hot aluminum cylinder head for a compression check, but NEVER re-installed the plugs until the cylinder head was dead cold again. Put a cold plug in a hot plug hole and the plug would seize in the plug hole and might never come out. Case of the chilled shrunken steel ball/ heated expanded steel ring experiment from high school physics. The mix of the steel (plug) and the aluminum plug boss would be an even worse case scenario I would think. I would think the same principle would apply to all the flat four engines with aluminum heads including the WBX's.

What say you?

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver