Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 May 2003 13:48:49 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tiico Engine Questions
Comments: To: THX0001@AOL.COM

I know nothing of TiiCo, or any other engine conversion, except what I have read, and the negatives enunciated by the volume of e-mail about conversions causes me to drop any consideration of an engine conversion. It know there are those out there who swear by them, but it's not for me.

There are now enough makers of after market parts, and enough experience "out there" that can be garnered, so a really superb WBX engine can be built. One that should have been built in the first place. If one takes a basic WBX and goes the route with it, he/she will have an engine that will last longer, be more reliable, and have considerabley more power that the stock engine, yet it will be a food fit to the van becasue it was made to fit. All the componets hook right up. No shoe horns required, no frame or boddy cutting and welding.

There are counterbalanced cranks with balanced rotating assembly, there are oversized cylinders and pistons, there are big valve heads, Ceramic coatings for corrosion resistance, insulating tapes for exhaust pipe heat reduction, stainless steel exhaust collection system, high volume oil pumps, there are special lifters, and new ECU cips, and on, and on, and on, all of which add up to that better performance, longer life, greater reliability.

Basically, the engine duiring rebuild is highly refined, as in "Racing Engine" refined, but it is not worked like a racing engine, therefore it doesn't wear out fast. The life is extended. And for a Vanagon that is the goal.

I have the spare basic engine now, and it is the way I am going with a new rebuild. which in this case will be with brand new heads.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver.