Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 2003 09:03:53 -0700
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why solid lifters: Performance...Why hydraulic lifters -
              Performance limits
Comments: To: vgonman@MSN.COM

In eight years of wrecking yard runs I find good Type IV engine cores. Most times they just need one head to run (True they have other problems too.) When I find Wasser Boxers in wrecking yards most have a rod sticking out the block. (every one I've seen has had a rod sticking out the block.) I'd sure look at ways to have more torque before I looked at turning higher RPMS, of course those often only happen as result of a cam shaft change. If your engine has good oil pressure, good hydraulic lifters they become solid columns of oil and perform very well. I also like the fact that they are a self imposed limitation that keep things under control in the RPM area. Just from what I've seen so far in three years, Robert Lilly seems to have found a good working combination of modifications. However I don't think one change such as solid lifters will net the desired increase in HP or Torque most people are looking for. I think every Wasser boxer owner's goal is dependability and limited maintenance responsibilities, if solid lifters don't accomplish this in some form I'd run from them.

Stan Wilder

On Wed, 14 May 2003 08:51:21 -0400 Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM> writes: > I have a question...... > > > Who NEEDS to push their WBX vanagon to 6500 rpms? These aren't > drag racing > vehicles here. They still have physical limitations. And, what > about the > internal engine situation...........no matter how much you balance, > blue > print, etc., your motor, you will surely be cutting into its life by > turning > 6500rpms routinely............... > > Give me a good, reliable rebuild anyday over chips, etc, to push my > heavy > underpowered vanagon faster. > > Adam P > 81 Westy "The Brick " > 70 Single Cab "Whitey" > 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" > 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) > 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg > 1976 Transporter (New CA bus) > 1974 412 "Goldmember" > Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Robert Lilley" <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 6:57 AM > Subject: Why solid lifters: Performance...Why hydraulic lifters - > Performance limits > > > > I was looking at the new CB Performance catalog and noticed that > they have > > performance hydraulic lifters, that have a RPM limit of 6500 now > available. > > And it reminded me about the solid lifter kit on Ebay. The stock > hydraulic > > lifters run flat at @6000 RPM, hence the redline and cut off at > 5600 ~5800 > > RPM. VW put the limit in due to the limitation of the lifters and > the > > problems that can happen when they are taken past their rev > limit. > > > > I am going to look into the new lifters and check into their > dimensions. > If > > they match the WBX lifter size, I might consider using them as a > problem > > plagued VW lifter replacement. The only concern would be how well > it > matches > > the stock cam for hardness. The other option is to use a matching > cam, > > ground to WBX specs (a little bit bigger though) and use the > lifters. > > > > Web link: > > > > http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=57 > > > > If the lifters will work in the WBX, then they will be a perfect > match to > the > > Lutz ECU chip that increases the RPM limit. > > > > Robert > > > >

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!