Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 2003 11:23:37 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why solid lifters: Performance...Why hydraulic lifters -
              Per...
Comments: To: vgonman@msn.com
Comments: cc: bostneng@fcl-us.net

In a message dated 5/14/2003 8:51:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, vgonman@msn.com writes:

> Who NEEDS to push their WBX vanagon to 6500 rpms? These aren't drag racing > vehicles here. They still have physical limitations. And, what about the > internal engine situation...........no matter how much you balance, blue > print, etc., your motor, you will surely be cutting into its life by > turning > 6500rpms routinely...............

It is for those that have modified their WBX and want to rev past the 5800 RPM limit.

Stronger rods, more stroke and bore, changing cam, changing to dual-dual throat throttle bodies with digital fuel injection (NOT the Digifant) or dual-dual throat carbs, digital computer controlled dual/quad coils, etc., you can be at 5,000 RPM and punch the pedal and rev to 8,000 RPM limit and blow past other vehicles on the road.

As I have said it before, it can be done ... and live ... but costs money.

Add a turbo, blower, nitrous...

For me, at least, I added to parts to increase power while at the same time increase reliability so I do not have to take it to the redline just to accelerate to speed and I have hit the RPM limit once in a while and wished I had a few more RPM to go when some jerk is cutting in front of you...

When you build the engine with the correct parts for the job, it can and will last...

> > Give me a good, reliable rebuild anyday over chips, etc, to push my heavy > underpowered vanagon faster. > >

The whole point is to add a bit more power out of the stock WBX. And the lifters just might be able to resolve the problematic stock lifters...if they are a direct replacement...

Robert