Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 May 2003 19:20:43 -0700
From:         zampano <matthias.k@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: power steering rack
Comments: To: Themervino@CS.COM

Hi,

I had the same problem on my 84 Wolfy 2 months ago. I darted over to AutoZone (yes, the dreaded) and ordered one of their rebuilds with lifetime warranty. I think it was about $230.00, plus around $100.00 core charge, which they'll refund you once you bring them the old rack. Included everything except the tie rod ends. I got those new, also, but not from AutoZone. Don't know if they can get them, but probably. Might be a PITA to reuse the old ones on yours also, since the bolts got stuck pretty tight over the years and since the rubber on the ball joint was brittle anyways, I went for new ones. The job is fairly easy and will take you two hours at the most. Raise the front up, you can leave the wheels on. Easier if you remove the spare tire and carrier hardware. Four bolts that hold the rack to the frame, and the tie rod bolts. You can either hammer those out or use a puller clamp. There's a u-joint that connect to the steering column. Loosen that bolt enough and then pry it open by inserting a flat head. Remember the number of threads on the tie rod ends and you might not need alignment. I got it aligned at a tire shop since I got new tires also. Your steering wheel might be off center after, unless you fiddle around with it, or get it aligned. Keep the area clean, where you detach the power steering fluid supply/return hoses. Once installed, fill the power steering reservoir and with the engine running, turn the steering wheel in both directions until stop. Bob's yer uncle. Works fine so far.

Cheers