Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 2003 21:38:20 -0400
From:         Maynard Southard <echomhs@GIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Leaking oil dipstick tube
Comments: cc: "drillock@EARTHLINK.NET" <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>,
          "jefferrata@YAHOO.COM" <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>

Jeffrey:

I have both the separate long dipstick tube ('86 DoubleCab Diesel) and the integrated oil-filler dipstick ('82 Westy Diesel). I agree with Mark ... the separate long dipstick is a superior design. I bought a new dipstick and tube from the Bus Depot so that I can upgrade the Westy when I install the '84 Jetta TD engine this summer.

Shortly after I got my DoubleCab, I noticed the same problem you are having. I found the little o-ring was brittle and replaced it. You put the o-ring on the tube (from the bottom) and slide it up to the washer (the washer can only go so far up). Before reinstalling the tube, I cleaned out the little recessed lip in the block so that the o-ring contacted a clean surface. Also, make sure you push the tube down as far as it will go and that you secure the top of the tube to the alternator pivot bolt. I found that my pivot bolt had broken and that had allowed the dipstick tube to vibrate loose. (That long 90-degree sweep gave it plenty of leverage - not like those short straight tubes on the cars.)

BTW, is this a 5 speed?

Maynard '86 DoubleCab Diesel "Col. Potter" '02 EV GLS "AMPvan" '00 Golf GLS TDI "WooHoo" '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt"

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003 6:23 PM, mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: > Jeffery, you have the later and better setup. The 82 diesel oil > dipstick/fill tube has several flaws and all later diesel years used > the > type such as yours. The later dipstick tube just pushes into a hole > in > the block. There is an "o"ring and a small washer that combine to make > a > seal. The VW dealer sells them and those 2 parts are the same as many > I4 > gas engines. I just replaced a set on one of my 83 diesel Vanagons > that > was leaking there. > > You may have one of the last diesel Vanagons made for export to North > America but they made them for many years after that for other > markets. > Most turbo diesels though. > > Mark > > > Jeffrey Earl wrote: > > > > My question can perhaps be answered by other diesel > > Vanagon owners, or those who have done a VW I4 > > conversion. > > > > How exactly is the oil dipstick tube AFFIXED to the > > engine block on a VW inline-4 (I suppose the > > waterboxers may be done similarly)? > > > > Is it threaded into the block, or is it a press-fit? > > Are they prone to cracking from vibration? > > > > My Vanagon bears a production date of 3/83, so was > > probably one of the last diesel Vanagons produced. > > Every other diesel Vanagon I've seen has its oil > > dipstick integrated into the oil fill cap, and this is > > what's shown in my Owners Manual. But mine, which I'm > > sure is original, has its dipstick tube exiting from > > the block in the usual place for GASOLINE I4 > > engines--down near the filter mount. From here it runs > > straight upward and gently curves a full 90 degrees > > rearward to end just behind the license-plate door, > > from where one can grasp the dipstick handle. > >