Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 May 2003 14:31:19 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: AFM tracks
Comments: To: Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 03:02 AM 5/20/2003, Mark Dorm wrote: >david, you don't say what your opinion is of what and whether to do anything >about this... should we move it from this oscillating position at idle, >couldn't we have problems if we just arbitrarily move it around...

Oops, almost missed this one -- I'm passing over a lot of the messages these days, so if you want me specifically it's a good idea to cc: me directly.

The oscillation is from some sort of resonant coupling between the intake air column and the AFM vane, or else the pulsation in the air column is so strong that it simply drags the vane along with it. I suspect a resonance *somewhere* because of the way it stops so rapidly as you begin to open the throttle. I'm sure it's not good for the AFM, but I have no idea whether it's typical engine behavior or specific to the Vanagon engine. If it's not a case of "all four-bangers do that" then I suspect it could be alleviated by tuning/damping the intake system -- but that's the sort of thing that could have all sorts of unintended consequences at other speeds. Induction-system experts would know about that sort of thing. I don't think that changing the effective mass or damping of the vane would be a good idea.

You can't change the angular position of the wiper without disturbing the results that the AFM is passing back to the ECU -- but if you move the ceramic substrate so that the new path of the wiper tracks straddles the old one you can probably get more useful life from it. I don't know how much correlation there is between visible wear and noisy operation -- the real test is to monitor the voltage between ECU ground and the AFM wiper while moving the AFM vane with ignition on. Should be a smooth rise from one end to the other, from something over 0 to something under 5 volts. The two ordinary failures would be either noisy (spiky) operation or an actual dropout in one or more places. The dropouts are easy enough to determine, just move the vane very slowly and watch for your meter to drop -- much easier with analog meter. Noise is harder because even fast meters won't respond to it very well. One thing to try would be to take a DMM and set it to a low AC range. Moving the wiper slowly and steadily, say five seconds end-to-end, should give you a fairly constant small reading -- if there are lots of spikes I'd expect the reading to rise noticeably. Good method is oscilloscope, but they're not in everyone's pocket. Ah -- if you've got something like a small tape recorder with a microphone input, make a probe with shielded wire, run a ground wire from the shield end to go to ECU ground, put a small capacitor -- say 0.1 to 0.5 microfarad in series in the line somewhere and maybe a 10k resistor outboard of the cap -- I bet you would get a nice crackling sound on noisy spots (with ignition on). I'm thinking about an op-amp circuit that would detect spikes and light up an LED, but just listening to the audio might be a lot more informative.

Either the VW active-filter cable pigtail or the cheap "capacitor fix" will considerably cut down the spikes that the ECU sees; that can be a good answer to getting more life from a somewhat noisy one with no real flat spots.

david

-- David Beierl -- dbeierl@attglobal.net