Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 May 2003 10:39:38 -0700
From:         AA Transaxle <aatransaxle@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Tranny front seal leak

Daniel...is there a bunch of movement up & down & around that might indicate the bearing behind the seal is bad and causing the flange to move more than the seal will handle??? I put the seals in so they are flush with the housing, but being driven in all the way is OK also...not critical if things are not flopping around a bunch. I use only VW factory seals and have only had 1 leak ever...never figured out why that one did it. if all else seems Ok, then try another seal and see if you just buggered up the other one on install and keep an eye on it. Call me if you have any questions

Daryl of AA Transaxle Duvall, WA. (Seattle area) (425) 788-4070 1-877-377-0773 (toll free) aatransaxle.com (web site)

rom: "Daniel E. Dedrick" <dan_dedrick@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Syncro Tranny

Hi all -

The front drive output seal on my 4WD tranny started leaking so I replaced it a few months ago. Having never worked on this tran-axle before, I packed the seal with grease and tapped it in with a mallet and large socket as if it were a differential seal.

Everything went well, in fact maybe to well; it tapped in quite easily. The Bently manual instructed me to "drive in to stop". I was not sure if this meant to drive the seal in until it rested against the bearing or if the special tool placed the seal at a unspecified depth. Anyway, long story short, I tapped in the seal until the seal rested against the bearing.

All seemed to work out fine until this weekend, with approximately 2000 mi on the new seal, it started leaking again only this time worse. Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks for listening - Danie