Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 May 2003 10:10:02 -0700
From:         Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: ny to ca

Well, as to route, what you want to see on your way and how long you have to make the trip should be the determining factors. Interstates are fast, further south is more heat in August, and the climbs are worst in the middle. As far as cheap and safe places to stay, check out the AIRS list at this link.

http://www.type2.com/rescue/index2.html

Although started by the type 2 crowd, any VW owner traveling is welcome. Because I am strategically located near I10 and in an area out in the middle of nowhere (AZ near the NM border) we get AIRS travelers camping here every couple of months. Check it out. There are 1600 or so people all over the US signed up to give support to VW travelers, ranging from a place to stay or camp, food, tools, mechanical help, a shower, etc.

My solution for a hitch receiver on my '81 Westy was to have a local welding shop design and fabricate a new rear bumper that bolts directly to the frame (beefed up connection) and has a receiver built right in. It works great and cost me $150 total about 4 years ago. Should be about 4 times that in NY, I suspect. If you are interested, I can post a picture.

Bill in the Southwest

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaggy" <shaggyinseattle@YAHOO.COM>